ask of people who have experience.

I was out taking some photographs over new year of an old Abbey in

the U.K. and while concertrating on composing a shot, heard a really

loud slapping noise. When I looked over to see what the commotion

was, it turned out to be someone using a 20D. Compared to my little

300D, the racket seemed a bit extreme. Is this normal? I've heard

lots of great things about the 20D, and am particularly keen on it's

high ISO performance. Are folks still able to use this camera

effectively for unobtrusive candid portraits or wildlife shots?

thanks in advance,

Emeka

I haven't tried any wildlife shots, but it seems to work ok for candids. Personally, I don't really notice the sound. An in a crowded place, the general background noise would be great enough to cover it anyway.

That said, my experience may not match yours. Not so much for the camera, but for the fact that I'm a red-haired white guy living in Asia - I stand out a lot more than my camera does here.

I have a 300D and a 20D and the shutter sound on the 20D is annoying. It's not so much the volume of the shutter slap but the pitch that is really noticable. It's like a lound plastic sounding clap. That being said, most of the time it's not really a problem and the increased performance of the camera goes a long way to make you forget about thsi. But I have gotten a few dirty looks in musuems and quiet places with the camera whereas no one ever seemed to mind the 300D.

The louder shutter sound of the 20D is one of the few deficiencies it has relative to the 10D. Is this the price we have to pay for a dSLR with this frame rate in this price range?

That said, I became accustomed to the sound of the shutter fairly quickly, and it doesn't even occur to me any longer.

The sound doesn't bother me. Though once it did spook a stable full of horses - they calmed down though as soon as I said "sorry" ;-)

Interestingly it wasn't the first pic I took in there, and they never reacted again.

I'd probably hesitate to take a close up of a sleeping baby with it,

but that's true of most SLRs.

I too like this noise. I missed that sound when I got my D60 after using a 10s for so many years, I always liked hearing it and most people would stop and say, damn that camera is fast! For shooting sports it is a soothing sound that reassures me that it is firing correctly but I can see where it could be an issue for birds or macro.

The reason the 20D shutter is louder then the 300D or 350D is because it's faster.

It has faster sync, faster top speed, shorter shutter lag and shorter mirror blackout time. This also means the mirror has to move faster too.

All these things require more energy to start and disipate more energy when they stop. Hence a louder shutter.

I don't know of any quiet high speed shutters.

Emeka et al,

yes, the 20D is loud but more importantly the pitch is high and cuts through. If I was out alone shooting rocks in the forrest this wouldn't matter, however, I shoot a lot of available light candid/environmental portraits of e.g. the kids playing. As soon as you press the shutter you are no longer just an observer, everyone is paying attention to you and the camera. Very disappointing AFAIAC.

I love it!

in fact I've gotten in the habbit of making a loud clicking noise with my mouth now when I

shoot with a leica cause it's just not loud enough.

anyway......

I'm not sure I'd ever call the 20D "unobtrusive" either in operating noise levels nor in size/

appearance so if you're looking for a small and quite camera it may not be the best choice.

that said, I use it all the time for shooting wildlife, candid portraits, quiet church weddings

etc and so far no one has complained (or flown away). I think it's got as much to do with

the photographer being respectful of the situation as is does with the actual noise level of

the camera shutter.

Now why leica doesn't get their act together and make their own proper digital rangefinder

is beyond me. I don't see why a full frame 16 megapixel rangefinder is so much to ask!

cheers

lucas

Having used Canon FD cameras for 20 years I have never gotten used to the "pphhhfffttt" sound that the EF cameras made. I always preferred the "chuclunnnkk" of the T-90. With EOS cameras I find myself always wondering if I took a picture, and if the shutter went when I had planned it to go. I prefer the sound of the noisier Rebel to the 10D so hopefully the high end DSLRs will still carry that solid confirmation of the shutter having been fired. I am not regularly trying to photograph black bears or church interiors though.

I`ve compared the sound to my T90`s,T70 EOS 5/1n & OM2`s pentax & blads. and D30, the 20D has the cheapest sounding shutter of all.Its so bad I couldn`t use it in side government chambers or at coucil meetings where leica usually excels. Still I`m getting used to it.

I really like the satisfying slap of the 20D. I used it inside a high school production of Bye, Bye Birdie and nobody noticed the satisfying slap. My spouse said that I should have turned off the annoying "beep" of the autofocus confirmation. The shutter snick never bothered anyone but the beep turned heads.

I am a Leicaphile, and folks, I think the R6 and R7 are louder. The M6 and M3 are a bit quieter but I really like the 20D snick. It sounds professional.

Quit carping and turn off the beep.

I love IT! The moment I hear the shutter 'slap' for the first time, I was hooked on the sound. It is so reassuringly solid sounding that it was one of my main purchasing points over the 300D, which to me sounded a bit too whimsy. That said, I don't do wildlife shooting but candid is totally acceptable to me.

I'm wondering if there isn't a great deal of variation in shutter sounds from one 20D to another. If I hadn't read the complaints about the loud shutter of the 20D on Photo.net I wouldn't have noticed it. It sounds different than some other cameras, but not loud or offensive in tone. In fact I just compared it to a Canon EOS 5 (A2e) that is noted for it's quiet shutter, and the 20D is sharper in tone, but only moderately louder. Hardly a bother.

Another possibility is that some of us suffer from a lot more high frequency hearing loss than we realize. At 50+ years, I know I have a modest HF loss, but I really don't think it's that bad.

It's louder than the XT. I've just run some tests for the review I'm doing and there's no doubt about that. I actually recorded the shutter noise and looked at the amplitude of the signal vs. time and I'll be including that data when I update the review.

The 20D isn't very different from the Elan II, but the Digital Rebel XT is quieter than either of them.