5D Failure

d_scott_leins

Has anyone had this problem? While shooting with my 5D (purchased new 11/05) I

switch off the power and change lenses. Try to turn the power back on and it is

completely DEAD! I tried changing batteries, CF card, switching lenses back to

the previous lens and nothing works. Canon repaired it the first time under

warranty without any difficulty. Now it has happened again! I'm afraid this body

is going to be a lemon & I'll be stuck with repair costs after the warranty period.

>>The repair slip only listed a part number so I don't know what exactly was repaired.<<

Ah-it would be interesting to find out what that part was. Perhaps you can do a web search for Canon part#xxx and see what it is? They usually tell you what the replace, I am surprised they didn't tell you. Have you tried asking them?

You obviously have a lemon. Sh!t happens. My 100/2.8 macro non-USM was one too. Its motor failed three times within the warranty period. Sometimes you're just not lucky. Call canon and demand a replacement. The same serious problem happening twice within warranty period certainly qualifies as a major defect.

Thanks to all who responded. I spoke with a Canon service rep and was told they would repair the camera and return it again. He told me coverage would be extended on the failed part for an additional year. If it should fail again I will be looking to have Canon replace the camera. P.S. He did claim Canon has been having a problem with the battery grip for the 5D. But, even with the grip removed and a battery inserted it would not power on.