Canon 1.2 on the Voigtlander Bessa R?

Hi All,

Have two Voigtlander Bessa R's, the Nokton 1.5, and most of the VC LTM lenses.

Recently I started looking into the old Canon f1.2 LTM lens, for really low

light work. I know the Canon is only sharp in the center wide-open, that is

acceptable for my uses. I imagine I will continue to use the Nokton for most

of my 50mm shooting, I'm looking for a different "signature", and something new

and fun to play with. The posted photos I've seen look quite interesting.

Anybody else out there currently using it on the Bessa R?

Anyway, bought a nice example with filter for $177. Now, I'm looking for a

lenshood. The 55mm f1.2 Olympus has been suggested to me, anybody know where I

can find one? (This is the 57mm clamp-on version). Any other suggestions for

shading this beast will be appreciated. I'm also interested to hear about other

recent 50mm 1.2 Canon experiences. I think having this is going to be a kick:)

Best Regards

Dan

Hi Dan,

I use it on a Bessa T with an old Voigtländer Kontur-finder and have no focusing problems. Contrast is still a little bit low on mine which needs a cleaning. Of course there is no reason to have it together with either your Nokton nor my Ultron but that can be said for the rest of 80% of my camera stuff. I'm a passionate hood-user and use a cylidrical metal hood. It blocks the finder of the Canon VI which came with the lens but I don't mind because I'm wearing glasses and can't see all of the finder at a look.

Try it, enjoy it, keep it!

kind regards

Thomas

Theoretically, the 25mm EBL of a Bessa R / R2 is long enough to accurately focus a Noctilux, so I don't think you'll have a problem. I've used the Canon 50mm f1.2 on my Bessa R, R2, and RD-1s without difficulty.

The Canon 50mm f1.2 does not suffer from flare as much as the Canon 50mm f0.95. I frequently use the f1.2 without a hood and have never had problems. You will definitely get a different signature than the Nokton though ... the Nokton is way sharper than the Canon f1.2.

The Canon 50mm f1.2 's infinity lock is annoying to me. In letting a friend take a few shots they were unscrewing the lens to try to focus, and no joke said "oh the lets came off". I often use my Canon 50mm F1.2 on a Zorki 3C too, it has a better accuracy in focusing. The Bessa R camera has no close (gain) adjustment of its rangefinder at all. A Leica or Zorki does. Thus all three cameras might be ok at infinity, but the Bessa R only has the factory setting for the 1 meter focus position.

My first roll is back from the one-hour (Fuji Press 800 develop only) and WOOOW the "look" is there, very cool. The Bessa-R rangefinder is doing an adaquate job of focusing the 1.2. I'm considering getting a Bessa-T for more critical use (while Gandy still has them), how does the silver version hold up?

I'm shooting another roll today.