bellows hood

filip_plesha1

It depends.

Aside from third party hoods like Lee, Lindhal, and Cokin; many of the bellows hoods I've seen come with a bayonet mount that goes onto lugs on the outside of the lens barrel. It's quicker to attach with a bayonet mount, and makes aligning square hoods easier since you have to be careful that the hood is not on crooked, or risk vignetting.

Unfortunately, bayonet mounts are usually specific to a certain series of lenses. The only bayonet hood I know of that can be used on two systems without modification is the Bronica SQ hood, which also fits the Exakta 66 mount Schneider lenses.

Otherwise, you would have to manufacture your own adapters that screw into the filter threads of a lens. If you can make your own adapter rings, then you can use just about any bellows hood on any lens.

I have examined those three hood manufacturers you mentioned,

it seems the best choice for me is Lindahl, it is around 100$ at Bhphotovideo.

Now if anyone has experience with it, can you answer these question please:

Seems to me it is attached to the lens with screws pushing the circular suface of the lens on the sides.

But there are some "size 8 rings" mentioned. I suspect those are adapters for mounting the hood as a filter would be attached.

Now is it possible to put the hood without these rings (directly on the sides of the lens)? Or at least to improvise something similar to that?

And in case of a zoom lens, I suspect mounting the hood would prevent me from being able to zoom because the hood would rotate with the zoom "handle", am I right?