8x10 Enlarger

panmedia

I have a chance to get an 8x10 (10x10) enlarger (Fotar). But the

moving of the enlarger is difficult and could be expensive if a

professional mover is involved.

Have anyone moved an 8x10 or 10x10 enlarger? Do you need any

professional help? Did you disassemble the enlarger before the move?

I guess the enlarger is around 800-1000 lbs. Very heavy.

Thanks.

Your probably going to have to dissassemle it.... Unless you have a tow motor on a pallet...... Even then you have to be very carefull... I lost a Saltsman that way....... I have taken apart a few of them and they are bears..... You will probably need help on top of that......... Did you just buy the one on FeePay with the Omega head?

Thanks John for the remindings on the disassembling. That is exactly something I am worrying about. The enlarer is about three and half feet each side and the height is about seven or eight feet. Big and heavy.

This enlarger is local to me. I did not look at the auction site for any 8x10 enlarger because of shipping issue. Local moving is really hard enough.

Hi Phillip.

I bought a 10x10 Fotar enlarger from a lab in Princeteon NJ and had it shipped out to me in Idaho. Mine is the horizontal model, but still heavy. My 15 year old son and I unloaded it from my PU truck, but it wasn't easy, and I don't recommend it. I suggest both disassembly, and help.

Jay

Hi Philip,

I had a 10x10 Super Chromega F (around 800 lbs) shipped from Phoenix to Atlanta last summer. The carrier was NorthAmerican; cost was around $850 insured. The seller boxed up the head, blower assembly and accessories. The carrier picked up the unit and boxes in an air suspension moving van. The enlarger was wrapped in towels and strapped in. The unit arrived less than a week later. The movers placed it in my darkroom for me. At that point I only had to unbox the head and accessories and the job was complete. There was not any damage.

At the time it seemed like an ordeal but everything went smoothly and I am glad I went through the effort.

So that's my story....

Regards,

J. P. Mose

At a company I worked for years ago, we had several Saltzman's. The column itself was a chore on the 11x14, to move. It took 5 guys just to pick it up! The 10x10's, even with a shorter column, has some real weight. To answer your question... you might have to have it trucked and even that would be expensive.

I had a Durst 184 shipped from the east coast of the US to the Rocky Mountains and it cost a total of about $800. I had to depend on 3rd parties to crate it, so they shipped it without taking it apart. All they did was remove the head. It was properly crated, so it survived the trip across country.

If I had to do it again, I would certianly take it apart to make it more compact, but proper crating is essential. As you guess, these beasts are quite heavy and are usually transported by large trucks that are accostomed to handling crated/palleted objects. Don't expect any special care, unless you pay for special handling which will cost a small fortune. Most fork lift operators know how to move these large heavy objects, but don't take chances; accidents can and do happen.

Craters & Freighters may be able to help - they're on the WEB.

Regards, Pete

Philip - It may be worth going to a tool rental store and looking at a hydraulic shop crane/engine hoist. If you can drop the enlarger head as low as possible to lower the center of gravity and hook the crane high on the enlarger frame, I think one of these will lift it. If you need to lay the enlarger down to go through doorways, you should be able to do so with the shop crane. They are mounted on wheels, so you may be able to hoist and roll right to your vehicle. If you have a local store that sells Taiwan/China tools, you can buy a shop crane new for $150-200. You can weigh that against the cost to rent one. You will probably also need one or two nylon lift straps or chains and some ratcheting tied-down straps to secure the enlarger in the hauling vehicle.

It's not that it is so heavy, but bulky and fragile. You (and a couple friends) could put it on a pallet and rent a pallet jack and uhaul trailer. Of course a forklift would be more convenient. Or have a trucker with liftgate transport it for you.

Thanks for all the helps and good suggestions! I called Craters & Freighters in my area and got a initial quote. I was told they will have to send three people to take care of this.

There is another issue. It seems the door is typical 32" or 36" width and the enlarger is around 3.5 ft and higher than the door frame. I have to figure this out. A lot of work but I determined to get this monster into my darkroom.

I agree with the other statements: Moving a 10x10 inch enlarger is a stressful matter...

When I bought my mint Durst Laborator 184 I had it transported by professionals; but I disassembled it myself and transported all the sensitive parts (upper part of the head with heat shield and mirrors; anti-Newton-negative holders; lenses; condensators [a HUGE mass of glass]) in my own car...

The replacement of a loss of a single condensator for example would have been very difficult and would have cost me much more than I paied for the whole equipment...

I'm coming to this a little late. I moved a De Vere 108 vertical enlarger, which is a real

beast, in the back of a truck, pretty much without dis-assembly or too much fuss. It took

three big guys to get it out of the truck and into the darkroom, but it suffered no ill

effects. I'm not familiar with the build quality of the enlarger you are moving, or with how

difficult it is to dis-assemble, but by the sound of your description, I'm sure its pretty

solid. Obviously you have to be smart about compacting it to lower the center of gravity,

tie it down so it won't move, support it with movers blankets,remove any glass parts that

could be damaged with the truck's vibration etc, but it should be solid enough to

withstand a move provided you take some care. Dis-assembly is of course sensible,

provided you know how to re-assemble it properly. My DeVere has a sprung head and

baseboard on a heavy chasis, and I did not fancy dealing with re-assembling that- getting

the springs to the right tension etc. The point is to print with it, so moving it doesn't have

to become a big project.