scott_davis5

Does anyone here have a good source for such a creature? I recently

obtained a gorgeous Commercial Ektar 14" (with original presentation

box, caps, and even the original cardboard presentation box with the

lens' serial number on it!!!) but it is missing the retaining ring to

mount it to a lensboard. Suggestions other than Ebay would be

appreciated - I don't have the time/patience to wait for one to turn

up there.

Yes, I got the EXACT lens that you have here, and I got the lens ring from Midwest Photo Exchange. SK Grimes will charge you a arm and a leg for it (Most likly over 100.00 dollars for a stupid little ring)

Goodluck. Also, can you get a cable release to work with that shutter? I cannot find one with enought "Throw" to fire the shutter!!!

Ryan McIntosh

www.RyanMcIntosh.net

SK Grimes has the Copal cable-release socket in stock, at least they did a couple of years back. When one of mine loosened up and fell off, they shipped a new part very quickly. If their retaining rings seem expensive, it's probably because they are custom-made.

The lens came with a rinky-dink ancient cable release, which can trip the shutter, but only with incredible force on my part. I think I have a basic one that will work better though. One thing to look at as a possibility, if you can find one, is the dual cable release mechanism from one of the old Hasselblad macro bellows. These cables have a VERY long tongue, especially if set in the appropriate socket.

Good Day Folks,

In additional to needing a cable release with a long throw for an Ilex #5, you may want to check the cable release port to ensure all the pieces are present. On the inside of the cable release shaft there is a stud which pushes against the firing lever in the shutter. The cable release pushes against the stud, the stud pushes against the lever and ?click? the shutter fires.

In some cases, the stud is missing. To check, look down the cable release shaft. If you see a circular brass or steel piece, the stud is in place. If you see a small bar crossing the shaft, the firing lever, then the stud is missing.

Another common problem is the cable release threads on later Ilex #5 shutters are replaceable. If the threads were replaced and the new plug was not seated completely into the cable release housing, the distance the cable release will need to travel to fire the shutter will be extended.

Since we CLA Ilex #5 shutter, we stock the correct replacement pieces and have a limited number of long throw cable releases available.