contax 645 or hasselblad H1

jeff_jones7

no contest. the hassy straight up. the contax is a very fine camera, with excellent build quality and a nice feel, but the new hasselblad has already established itself as "the" new professional studio standard, and is backed by a worldwide network. the contax has been discontinued. if you are considering investing that much in a camera system, i think in the long run you will be much better served by the hasselblad.

Jeff,

I have the Contax 645 and I just love it. Its an amazing camera. And I love that I can use my lenses on my 35mm Contax N-1.

That being said, Kyrocera just announced that they are stopping making Contax cameras (645 production will end in December, all others right away). Until its seen if another company picks it up, you would be looking at somewhat of an orphan camera. Spare parts should be available for a while but at some point they will not. Hopefully that is many years from now and you will have got a lot of use out of your camera.

From my perspective, the Contax has more system components than the H1 at the current time (although that could change).

Baring the Kyrocera issue, I would advise the 645 from Contax.

I hope this helps. BTW, the 140mm and the 35mm lenses are my favorite. If you do get it, get a vacuum back. Makes all the difference.

--jeffrey

Jeff, Obviously when it comes to focussing,particularily in the macro range,the greater magnification one has the better.However, I don't think you are comparing apples with apples.By your statement, you are suggesting that the Hasselblad has almost 3.5 times the magnification of the Contax (.8 vs 2.7) I think something is wrong here.

Colin,

Jeff's right. The viewfinder of the H1 is magnifying more than that of the C645.

But what does that mean?

Practically nothing, especially in macro work. You could strap a APO Makro-Planar

120 in front of the Contax and have one of the best macro lenses available, and if you

think the viewfinder is not magnifying enough -- just get closer to the subject!

• 3 weeks later...