165mm SA users: What filter system do you use?

mr.ralph

To all users of this large 8X10 lens, what filter or filter systems do

you use? Is anyone using 105mm threaded filters? If so, are you

satisfied with them? Was it worth the expense?

Is anyone using this lens, using the Lee Filter system? If so, does

their 100mm filter holder with the 105mm adapter ring work? Any

vignetting issues? I am considering the Lee system to use with my

165mm f8 Super-Angulon and am concerned with cut-off. I would like to

hear what other users are using, paticularly the Lee system.

Thank you for all and any repsonses.

I've seen this question somewhere else on the forum--

YES- there are 105mm and even bigger adapters for the Lee and similar filter holders. The Cokin XP filters are well over 100mm in width and Cokin has XP adapters rings up to 112mm or more, so a 105--->112mm adapter ring would provide added clearance from vignetting. I'm sure you could get custom made glass filters to fit the Cokin XP holder, and I recall that B&W and/or Tiffen make large glass filters for cinematic film cameras that might be cut down to fit the XP system.

SKGrimes.com or emachineshop.com could make custom adapters as well....

For my 150XL with CF (slightly wider angle, 112mm thread, so possibly more demanding in terms of vignetting) I first got the Cokin XL system. It is a good filter system, but the filters are really thick and heavy.

After some measuring I figured out that the Lee system just might work. I got the largest slip-on holder for 115 mm outer diameter from Robert White - haven't seen it listed in the States - reduced it to one slot. Shooting vertical, no problem. Horizontal with FH vertical and no tilt/swing I get no vignetting. More than very slight tilt might show the edge of the film holder along the edge of the photograph so I try to compose with margins in this configuration.

If you use a screw-in adapter and a regular Lee holder you will likely run into problems, for minimal vignetting you need the slip-on type.

Or just tie the filter to the lens with a few rubber bands! Works in a pinch and is the best solution in terms of vignetting.

Overall, the Lee system has been a blessing over the Cokin X-Pro system, not for quality but weight and bulk. The X-Pro system is probably targeted towards the film industry. Furthermore, Cokin's selection of ND grads is a bit narrow and odd. Although Cokin does have an ND grad that is graduated over the whole height of the filter, I sometimes miss that with Lee.