D50 Protection Plan

amanda_bauman

I'd like to buy a Nikon D50 and have been shopping around for a good deal. One

of the considerations is whether I need a "protection plan" such as the ones

offered by camera stores, best buy, etc. These plans cover damage and some

include yearly cleanings. Is the protection plan a sucker bet? Adding this

protection puts the camera out of my price range.

What kind of problems am I likely to run into with a D50 that I couldn't resolve

for myself?

Can I clean it myself? or do I really need someone else to do it for me?

Sucker bet is exactly what those protection plans is. Do you wonder why Best Buy, etc. is so eager to sell them to you? It is certainly not for your benefit.

This topic has been discussed many times, and opinions vary. In my case, I never buy protection plans and as far as I can tell, I would never have taken advantage of one. Meanwhile, I save a lot of money from not buying them.

Cleaning the camera and sensor is not difficult. That is what every DSLR owner should learn.

Be careful! At the time I purchased my D50, I was offered to purchase a 2 year Nikon Extended Service Coverage (ESC)Plan. In reading the fine print, this plan is not valid in the States of Florida and Virginia. So if you live in these states, you're paying for nothing. Also, with regard to Mack extended warranties, if you purchase this coverage for a Nikon VR lens, Mack cannot repair it. . . .

I've a personal articles policy from Statefarm. It covers most of the damages due to accidents and theft of all my equipment. IMO it is not costly. For example, I pay around 60 bucks for electronics equipment worth more than 5000 USD (which includes my cameras, lens, laptops, iPods, and a bunch of other things). I think for a D50 and a lens it would be around 15 bucks of so.

About an year back, one of my classmates Thinkpad was broken beyond repair when it fell down from a robot. Statefarm paid him the cost a new machine and now he has a Mac :)

If you already have a renter's or home owner's insurance policy you can just add your camera to it.

I have purchased a lot of small and large items from Best Buy. I have purchased Best Buy's warranty/service four times on both computers, refrigerator and dish washer. I have gotten my money back several times over on four service calls to my house, the first computer (2 times)and the another two service calls to my house was for the refrigerator. Does that mean I am lucky or unlucky?? I know they have their plans set up for them to make money, but so does the health, car, house, and life insurance companys. The D50 camera is cheep enough, I would take the chance on it because if I had to replace I could afford that. Now if it was the D200 I would seriously consider their plan.

Amanda,<br>

<br>

When I asked a camera repairman friend the same question his

answer was, How long to you intend to keep the camera?

Please notice that this is a 20 plus veteran camera repairman.

DSLR are different from film cameras. The cost of repair can be

very high. If you plan to keep the camera several years then Id

buy a warranty extension.<br>

<br>

Who to buy from? I do not trust Best Buy and would not buy one of

their extensions. The only place Id buy a DSLR warranty

extension is from B&H Photo in NY. That doesnt mean

there are not other reliable venders but there are many

unreliable ones to avoid. I guess Ritz would be OK.<br>

<br>

For things like computer hard disks I buy from Costco as they

will replace one for several months unlike businesses like

CompUSA which will only replace a dead one for 14 days. I made

use of an extended warranty on an EPSON 1280 printer and long ago

bought an extension for CB walky-talky which never needed service.<br>

<br>

I imagine the sales people get a good commission for selling

warranty extensions so they are eager. The extensions are a form

of insurance and Im sure the profit margin is good. I

normally avoid them, never bought one for a film camera or a

lens, a DSLR is different so I bought, inkjet printers are a

fairly new technology and my two samples clogged on successive

calendar days so two were replaced. The third and final unit I

gave to charity unopened.<br>

<br>

My two cents is yes for DSLR(s) and no for most everything else.<br>

<br>

Best,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.<br>

<br>

PS: for fire, theft even dropping a camera a home owners

personal articles floater is a good idea at least on the core of a

system but won't cover repairs not due to an accident.

The "first" year of warranty is part of the camera purchase price. Nikon USA will fix any problem you may encounter (except for soaking in water or dropping the camera.)

Paying for 'two years' of maybe service at the time of purchase is a rip-off.

Everyone,

Thanks so much for all your replies. I am planning to take this camera on a trip to asia next month. It sounds like the best course of action would be to add it to my homeowners policy so it's covered for theft/loss. I'm normally very careful with my belongings as far as taking care of them, and I'm not particularly clumsy, so dropping it isn't a huge concern.

I really appreciate all the advice.

Protection Plan? Let's see, Adorama currently lists the D50 body for $550. I don't think that is an exorbitant amount of money to be worrying about extended warranties. Plus if you also buy a new (USA) Nikkor lens, it comes with a 5 year warranty, so no great need to worry there. In a couple of years, you may start lusting for the new iteration of a D50, so why worry about an extended warranty now? The D50 has a twelve month Nikon warranty from defects, so you should be set. Your best protection plan is to buy a nicely padded knapsack case to lug your gear around unobtrusively. BTW, the D50 is a fantastic camera for the price. Above all else, have fun.