Canon 135mm + 2X converter or 200mm F2.8 L

ton_daniels

Does anyone have exoerience using a Canon 135mm F2 L with a Canon 2X

type 11 converter?

I use the lense on a D20 body.

I know there is a 2 stop penalty, my main concern in picture quality.

How would this conbination compair to a Canon 200mm F2.8 L used on

the same body?

The 135/2L+Extender1.4x (original or II - makes no difference) is an excellent combination. At 189mm it is in practice the same focal length as the 200/2.8L. Do not expect real sharpness at full aperture, but as soon as you stop down a bit there is little to complain about, although if your main interest is in 200mm you would obviously do better to buy the 200/2.8L - I have not used it but it does have a very good reputation. I have tried a few shots with the 135/2L mounted on my son's Extender2xII, but have not yet produced any results that I liked. At 270mm effective focal length it is much more comparable to a 300mm lens, and at that focal length IS becomes desirable for hand-held work on full-frame and very desirable indeed on a 1.6-factor camera like the 20D. I am sure that 200/2.8L+Extender 1.4x would be a better combination than 135/2L+Extender2x, and 300/4L IS would be far better than either.

I use both the 135 & 200, both are excellent. If I was pushed my preference is the 135, although, the 200 pushes it to the limit. Personally, because of the stop down I use the 1.4. Unfortunately, I have not tried the 2.0 mainly because of stop down but also because of reviews that hinted that there is greater degradation with the 2.0, although, the loss is very slight with the magnification factor of the camera's i use the 2.0 was not critical, although, if i ever move up re camera i might and its a big might (subject to bank balance)would consider the 2.0.

I guess it depends on your use. I use the above combo on a 10d & 20d for when I am doing wildlife (birds and small animals - farm stuff etc). Love to post a couple of shots for you to see but until i find out how to do this i can not.