Photoshop CS FULL vs PS CS Academic vs others on EBAY

Hello there--

I am looking to get a version of Photoshop CS on ebay (i just can't

fathom paying close to 700 for the software program)

What is the difference, if any, between photoshop CS Full and

Photoshop CS academic. Also, are there any other versions out there

to be leary of?

thanks in advance for your time..

Zach

If you cannot afford Photoshop CS try JASC PSP 8 or 9.They don't offer the full flexiblity of Photoshop CS but are MUCH cheaper.

Dodgy software from what I heard tends to be "hacked" or modified so registration is not required.

How do you think people in China and Malaysia get away with using pirated Windows XP and Microsoft Office?

My advice: do noy buy software off Ebay as you unable to know if it is original or not!

However if the seller can send you actual pictures of the product he or she is selling you maybe able to risk it!

Last summer I bought a CS upgrade, came with an unregistered and sealed 6.0 (which didn't need to be registered). It was in box, and guaranteed registerable (is that a word?). It came as promised, I registered it over the phone with no problem. I just got a new computer today and re-registered it over the phone (this is a stand alone PC for Photoshop and desk top publishing only and is not connected to the "virus net") again no problem. I did pay right at $300. U.S. and was careful to look for positive feed back and sealed, boxed merchandise. I want to spend as little as possible but still have the support from Abobe. Dittos to what Bob said, buyer beware.

There is no functional difference between the full retail version of Photoshop and the

Academic version. The difference, as you've probably seen, is the price because the

academic versions are meant to be used by educational institutions only.

I won't get into the ethics of all of this because we're all adults and understand right from

wrong but as others have said, be very wary of the software that's being offered on ebay.

That said, I did indeed win an auction of a legitimate, full retail version of Photoshop on

ebay that I was able to register in my name and I've even gone through one upgrade with

it. Paid $300 for the original version so "deals" are there. Just be careful.

What you will probably get from Ebay is a new, boxed, and sealed Photoshop CS Upgrade that is perfectly legitimate, plus a "full version" of some older release, usually 6.0. What they don't tell you up front is that while all the software is registerible, the Photoshop 6.0 is on an inkjet-printable CD-R that somebody probably burned for virtually nothing. Thing is, now they're selling you a $150 upgrade together with a virtually worthless (though functional) CD-R, all for $300. That makes about a 200% profit for the seller. Beware.

I think the rule is that OEM stuff has to be sold with hardware.

That was how I got windows xp oem. With a ide cable or something I believe. I got a legit sealed version with certificate of authenticty etc., but there sure were a lot of scams around when I was looking.

Look up the rules for "academic." If you or your wife, etc. is taking or has recently taken community college classes, it may be perfectly legal and ethical. In fact, it may be cheaper to enroll in a darkroom class just to buy ps academic vs. full version, besides what you might also learn.

Rene, the reason I said I could be wrong is that there are a zillion rulings over the years on this subject it's impossible to know until you are in court on a specific. The EULA has always been a legal battle between users and software developers. Something like Apple/Windows. Also note that ruling is 5 years old. Kill all the lawyers.

Some time ago, Adobe was offering an upgrade from PS Elements 2.0 coming bundled with EOS DSRL's.

Here is the URL: <A HREF="http://store.adobe.com/store/products/master.jhtml?id=catCanon" >http://store.adobe.com/store/products/master.jhtml?id=catCanon </A><br>

I saved for some time to put the money together and I was very disgusted when I read in the small letters that it was only available in USA and Canada. Further researching the EU website of adobe showed a similar Elements upgrade in Europe but for about EUR700. Way too much. Nice to learn that there's a cheaper legal path to PS through the upgrade.