Personal experience with the old Green Monster Calumet C1?

scott_davis5

Anyone here have experience with the old Green Monster Calumet C1?

I'm looking at acquiring one as a relatively inexpensive entry into

8x10. I know they're not exactly featherweight, but is it tolerable

to work with - I'm guessing 70-80% studio use, 20-30% field for

myself. When I get ready to travel with an 8x10 (and have a bigger

budget), I'll look into a Phillips or a Canham, but until that time,

do you think I can be happy enough with the C1 that I won't feel it

is money wasted?

Scott, I'm not much help except I do have one of these cameras -- the green magnesium version -- that I am not using and would be willing to sell. The kit includes three Fidelity film holders (1 darkslide missing), a compendium lens hood, flash sync cable, lensboard drilled for an Ilex No. 5 shutter, and a box of Bergger 200 B+W film. I also have a pristine 375mm Ilex lens (Tessar design, a Kodak Commercial Ektar copy) that fits the lensboard that I would sell, separately. The bellows are tight and the camera is in excellent condition. Email me at sandersm@aol.com if interested.

Sanders McNew

www.mcnew.net

I have one of these big gray (same as green, I think) monsters. It is heavy, but certainly

workable. Folds up into a rather small package. If you put it in a case and use a luggage

cart it is easy to lug around. But it is not what you want for hiking in the woods, your

shoulder wouldn't last long. The black ones are lighter, aluminum?

For studio work, no problem at all. I have a spring loaded tripod, it helps when raising the

camera on the center column.

The prices on these seem to hold fairly steady, I think you could get most of your money

back when you are ready to sell and upgrade.

You're killing me Sanders! This is the exact 8x10 I was wanting to get when I moved up from 4x5. Unfortunately I just blew my forseable photo budget on Polaroid film (4 packs, ouch) and Jobo equipment.

I guess I'll just have to be happy and shoot what I have :)

Tripod-wise, I have several of the really big Bogen tripods with cross-braced legs. The only thing I'm short on is a good tripod head. Any recommendations? I'm thinking ball head, but I'll take just about anything that isn't quick-release (or takes a substantial QR plate ).

My primary 8x10 camera is a green monster...in fact I haven't shot either of my other 8x10s in a year or so. It's a very versatile camera, it's rock solid, and it'll do anything you ask of it as long as you can get it to where you want to set it up. I put mine on top of a Berlebach tripod (the one with the integrated ball head but no center column...can't recall the model number right now) and have no problems with stability. With a Nikkor 480mm f/9 process lens, Packard shutter, and an old wooden film holder, it's well over 20 pounds on the tripod.

The only real drawback to the C1 is the weight. If you can handle it, you'll be rewarded with a rock-solid camera. Loads of movements. Great bellows extension. Withstands winds nicely. Easy to use. But heavy. If that's not a problem for you, then it's a camera you probably won't outgrow. (If it's a magnesium model, it's probably about seven pounds heavier than the lightest 8x10 camera you can buy. That may or may not make a difference to you.)

You'll need to figure out how to carry it if you plan to go any long distance from your vehicle. I'm going to try modifying an old Alice pack this spring for backpacking mine.

I used one a few times. I seem to recall that it's kind of awkward with short lenses. The rear standard slides toward the front, leaving the bed to stick you in the chin.

Like everyone else said, it's heavy and you'll need a BIG tripod.

I've got the aluminum (black) version which is a few pounds heavier but otherwise the same, and have been of two minds about it.

On the plus side, it's build like a tank, has great bellows extension, and it's such a basic design that you can probably find replacments for most of the knobs and screws at a large hardware store.

Most of the negatives have already been covered, but I'll add that lensboards are fairly spendy and difficult to find, and it takes longer than it seems like it should to set up--but that could just be me not using it enough. I'm looking for a folding cart or a baby jogger that can be modified, and this will help make it semi-painless the next time I have to move it more than 200 feet from my car.

I've tried several times to get an 8x10 conversion kit for my Sinar, but each time the kit was returned because of serious problems with the bellows, so I've still got the Calumet and probably will until I find that mint-condition 8x10 Deardorf for $200 in the Junior League resale shop (LF fantasy equivalent to finding a 1959 Porsche in a barn).

Bottom line -- if the price is right it's a great entry-level 8x10 that will let you avoid most of the problems that can be expected with a comparably 'vintage' wooden field camera in this price range.

Bob Bauer: Do you still have one of those 8x10 Sinar backs? Is it a Norma? Wanna make

me an offer I cannot refuse? :-)

I have pretty much abandoned the notion of working in 8x10, and sticking with 4x5. But

as I am shooting with a Sinar Norma, I am always looking to enlarge my kit. Some day I

will want to use the larger format and it would be good to have the Norma conversion set

on hand when that day comes.

Re the Green Monster: I am attaching a photo I shot last night of mine. I am such a goof

that I don't have a digital camera for this sort of stuff. So it's roll film off of my Super D. I

think this image nicely illustrates the provenance of the C-1's nickname.

Best,

Sanders McNew

www.mcnew.net<div>00BcTR-22520684.jpg.1265131580d2929187e2a8727bbcca88.jpg</div>

Regarding the lensboards: I have the one that came with my camera, and six more that I've made myself. They're very easy to make...just cut one piece of hobby plywood to fit the external opening and another to fit inside of the light trap. Glue them together, cut your lens mounting hole, and paint the whole thing flat black. I've had no light leaks, and my total cash outlay has been less than $10.

I did pick up some black Delrin sheets to try...it's more expensive than the wood but will probably stand up to rough handling better. I've not had any of my homemade lensboards break, but have chipped the edges on one of them. Not enough to make it unuseable, but enough that it looks ratty.

The wooden boards are tough enough to hold a Nikkor 480mm f/9 process lens with a Packard shutter without warping. They're also lighter than the original lensboards, if that matters to you.