AE PRisim for RZ 67 Pro

bjclark

I have a RZ pro and found a AE prism for it which was advertised as

compatable with RZ Pro and Pro II. To make it work you have to put

the shutter speed dial to AEF. There is no AEF setting on either of

my RZ Pro camera bodies. Does this mean this model of prism, the

FE701, will not work with my cameras? Thanks

BJ

This prism finder will work with the any of RZ67s. To use the prism in auto-exposure mode is the setting between "B" and "400" (red circle with dot).<p>

However, I do recommend NOT the finder if there is any way you can avoid it. It is awfully heavy and unbalances the camera (especially with long-ish lenses) so you will have a hard time handholding it. It has no flash meter option and accurate focusing is not easy as the finder is pretty dim, especially indoors with a portrait lens or so. Last but not least it is way too expensive -- get yourself a nice <b><a href="http://www.sekonic.com/Products/L-508.html">Sekonic L-508</a></b> if you need a light meter.<p>

However I found it very accurate and if you can live with all these disadvantages (like in a studio setting) check it out.

I prefer the metered chimney finder. You can usually find them for about $300 used (they are not made anymore). If you want to use on a Pro II (not your case), you have to have it modified for $119 by MAC (my price last year). In your case it will work as is.

KEH had 1 for sale last week. Its a vertially oriented finder with meter that is accurate and I find looking down to be better than looking forward.

Thanks to each of you for your quick responses. I will try the suggested solutions. I have a Pentx spot meter and one of my goals is to learn how to use each of these meters and when. I agree the unit is heavy(even without the prism). I now only use the camera on a good tripod.

I am shooting wide angle landscapes in B and W and with transparencies. My goal is to scan or get the best of the bunch scanned commercially and then use a digital darkroom to process the prints.

I have found that with several shots I am more comfortable framing the picture with the camera at a height that makes using the prism the way to go. I agree that I am spoiled by my digital camera re exposure meter and eventually I will "graduate" to using the spot meter and the zone system only.

BJ