I know this is a fairly amateur question, but I was wondering

what multipurpose matte paper would one recommend for use in a Canon

i9900? I am a little confused with the term matte finish, because

when I get my lab to print on matte, it is what I would term matte, a

flat, almost pearl finish, but so much of the matte in consumer paper

is simply paper, with little to no finish. I want to be able to

attain lab results. If anyone could steer me in the direction of

bulk sales options (preferably in Canada), that would be great also.

Thanks so much!

Hi Sean,

Try the Ilford Gallerie smooth pearl paper. Its not too expensive, available everywhere and is regarded as a very good paper. Also Permajet or Tetenal papers are highly respected as well and they both do a pearl finish.

I second Mark's recommendation for Ilford Gallerie paper, but the one I use is the Classic Pearl, in the black box. I was steered to this one because of its coating, which is great for dye inks (like on the Canon's). It will probably prolong the life of your prints, cuz it effectively seals the ink in (or so I'm led to understand).

It is not suitable for pigment inks, like the Epson 2100/2200 or C series (I don't know the newer models). They would need the less coated Smooth Pearl.

The Classic Pearl was the first non-Canon paper that really worked well with my consumer level all-purpose Canon bubblejet. Color response is similar to Canon papers, so if you use color management you can still use the Canon profiles; I just select Photo Paper Pro as the paper type in the driver, and am very happy -- relieved, even -- with the results.

I havn't run across a true matte paper that looked any good at all; the Classic Pearl looks more like Matte from minilab prints.

Peter Wilson

Oh yeah, I forgot: I'm in Montreal, bought the Ilford Galerie Classic Pearl in a black box of 100. Don't remember what I paid, but I'm pretty sure it was less than the better Canon papers.

I seem to remember finding Canon matte too thin, and the colors and look not what I was hoping for.

Peter

Sean,

Whilst I recommended Ilford Pearl paper don't be put off by the matte papers. I actually use Epson Archival Matte (Enhanced Matte in the US) for all my prints. I have an Epson 2100 printer which uses Pigment inks and bronzing is a problem with Pearl or Gloss papers. The Epson paper is certainly not just paper. It is specially coated to receive inkjet ink and is particularly suited to pigment inks. If I were doing high quality art type prints then I would choose Hahnemule Photo Rag (a very pricey matte paper). Decent Matte papers exhibit a sharpness and an almost 3d look to them that gloss or pearl papers don't quite match.

Your best bet is to get a trial media pack from some of the art paper retailers and try each one. Your choice might then change!