Dynaphos -continuous lighting

janet_mootz

I am looking to create a home studio. I am on a fairly tight budget.

I have been looking at Dynaphos continuous lighting sold at

amvona.com. The description of the product states that it is a cool

running light so it can be used with models. I have read in the past

that contiuous lighting is to hot for models and some perishable

items, but maybe this one is different? Anyone have experience with

this?

I have read some rather bad reviews about Amvona too. I am now thinking about getting some Alien Bees. I have read only good things about them. I would like to get two B400s with softboxes but the cost is a little high for me. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy some used ones? I checked out ebay but there wasn't much there.

My experience is that hot lights are hot, but not too hot for use with models. Think about

the great portrait artists of the 20's - 60's - almost all hot lights.

There are few flash systems that are as good a low cost starter set as the alien bees, but

they are fairly new, so not too many on the used market. You might be able to find a used

speedotron or dynalight set on a popular auction site for slightly less...

I personally use and like hot lights - except for with food and plant still life work... lowel

tota lights and omni lights are a great value. Both lowel and Smith Victor offer starter

packages via various sellers (B&H for instance).

I guess you need to decide what your shooting priorities are, and find a system best suited

to that. But I would suggest it might be worth waiting an extra month or so until you can

afford to get exactly what you need. You'll end up spending more in the long run, trying to

make a cheap system work for you and last...

• 6 months later...

I bought a 36" umbrella light box at amvona and was very pleased. I would buy again from them. If you look at the amount sold and compare it to the neg results it's like .2% not bad, Most of the complaints are lame at best, can't please everyone. It is the best portable soft box I have found. Folds up like a umbrella.

Most continuous lighting today is floresent type day rated bulbs that do not get hot.

• 2 months later...
I have purchased umbrellas and backdrop systems from amvona on ebay. They have been nothing but impressive with their equipment and service. Considering the price of their equipment (not buy it now prices) they have outstanding quality merchindise. I have been happy in the past and continue to do business with them. I myself am looking to buy a lighting kit from them, and I have used continuous lighting for models and they do get hot, but most models aren't bothered by the heat enough to complain, they just kind of wish it was cooler (but then again, don't we all).

• 3 years later...

<p>Westcott Monte Zucker Window Light Kit - consists of: 2- Spiderlite TD5 Fixtures, 2- 24x32 Softboxes, Tilt Brackets, Light Stands, Fluorescent Bulbs, Case - 230 Total Watts <br /> 2The Westcott Monte Zucker Window Light Kit is based on the Spiderlite TD5 light fixture, which accepts fluorescent (5000° K) or tungsten (3200° K) bulbs. Three separate controls allow running of multiple combinations of bulbs together with no color shift. It has all-metal construction with built-in points for direct attachment of a softbox -- no adapter ring is necessary. <br /> This Medium, 2 Light, 220-230 volt Kit includes 2- 24 x 32" silver interior softboxes, tilt brackets, 10- 23 watt screw-in fluorescent bulbs, 2- 10' heavy duty light stands, and a kit case for storage and transport. works on 110 volts <br /> <br /> I bought new from B&H. <br /> I have a home studio and only used 20 to 30 times. <br /> All equipment will work or your money back.</p>

<p>$850 bucks<br>

Let me know if interested</p>