First of all, thanks to all who assisted me in my D2H purchase. I

was on the fence, and you all helped me to come to a decision. For

this, I am grateful.

I wonder if you can assist with my flash questions. I have now a

Nikon SB-800 flash unit. I wish to take this flash off the camera

body (D2H), and use it at arms length, or mounted close by on a

tripod for some more interesting lighting. Is there a unit I need

to purchase, that when mounted on my body, will send the signal for

the flash to fire? I wish to remain wireless if possible.

I saw someone shooting with a Canon, and using this method, and I'm

wondering if there's also a Nikon answer.

Any responses are most helpful, and thanks again!

An SC-17 cable will give you full TTL capability, the same as if mounted on the flash shoe. You can slave an SB-800 wirelessly, with TTL, to a flash on the camera using i-TTL or SU-4 modes. You can also use a Pocket Wizard transmitter/receiver pair, but only in manual or auto mode on the flash.

If you mount the flash off-camera, be sure to turn the sleep mode off.

If your camera had a built-in flash (like the D70) you could hand hold the SB-800 and

trigger it by using the camera's built-in flash as the master. However, the D2h does not

have a built in flash. Hence, you have only two options:

1) Use a SC-17 (or whatever the new version is called) cable to connect the flash to the

camera hot-shoe and then you can hold the flash at arms length

or

2) Use a Pocketwizard transmitter on the camera hotshoe and a pocketwizard receiver

velcroed to the body of the sb-800 which you can then hand hold.

Hey, good choice! I just bought a D2H and SB-800 last week. Amazingly easy to get great flash results.

I bought the SC-29 cord for off-camera use. The part that fits into the hotshoe on the camera prism duplicates the red AF assist lamp on the SB-800. As far as I can tell the SB-800's AF assist lamp is disabled when connected via the SC-29.

Some folks say the SC-29 is an overpriced frill compared with the other Nikon cords that get the SB-800 off the camera but I like mine.

As far as I can tell the remainder of the "wireless" iTTL operation requires at least one additional SB-800 or SB-600. It's not radio operated wireless, as far as I can tell - the other flashes are tripped via optical sensors. So, unless I'm wrong, they won't be foolproof in a crowd of other Nikonistas blazing away with SB-800's. That's why pros pay for custom radio channels for multiple flash operation at big events.

Lex, the part you said about "wireless" is true. It all works with preflashes.

However, you get to pick your channel/subchannel. I can't remember how many combinations there are, but at least a dozen or so nikon guys could work a room if they met before and picked distinct combinations.

Thanks, Andy. I've pored over every scrap of Nikon literature I can find in print and on the web and cannot find a single specific mention of whether iTTL wireless works via optical sensors or radio transmitters.

If radio transmitters, I would expect to see the usual FCC disclaimer and some mention of the particular frequency on which the units operate. But there's nothing. So my next guess wash: Is it possible for optical triggers to be set up so that *my* carefully placed group of SB-800's and SB-600's won't be popped off by another wedding photographer using his D2H/D2X and SB-800/SB-600 setup on the other side of the ballroom?

In the past that's been the single most irritating aspect to trying to do multiple flash on location using hotshoe type heads triggered by optical sensors. I'm trying to carefully set up flattering lighting from either side, a little hair light and some background fill; meanwhile some ... enthusiastic ... family member with a Rebel or N65 keeps triggering all of my flashes by popping away with her built in flash.

So I'm having to wait for my flashes to recharge, all the while wondering whether this helpful and eager family member is going to be surprised at how effective that dinky pop up flash on her li'l SLR is.

Lex,

"I've pored over every scrap of Nikon literature I can find in print and on the web and cannot find a single specific mention of whether iTTL wireless works via optical sensors or radio transmitters."

Nikon does bury this information. In the SB-800 manual, the only mentions that I recall are on page 74, "Speedlight and camera placement." That's where there are instructions to aim a remote flash unit's light sensor toward the master flash. Even this might further the confusion, because it doesn't state that the light sensor in question is the one for wireless remote, as opposed to the one for Non-TTL auto flash. By the way, there are similar instructions on page 151 of the D70 manual.

"some ... enthusiastic ... family member with a Rebel or N65 keeps triggering all of my flashes by popping away with her built in flash."

I expect that a regular flash would not trigger an SB-800 or SB-600 (assuming they're not in SU-4 mode). On the other hand, I imagine that a regular flash could prevent a remote SB-800/600 from firing. The light from a regular flash that's very close to the SB-800/600 might obliterate the remote-control light pulses from the master SB-800 (or a D70's built-in flash).

--Bill

Lex,

Since you chose to buy the SC-29 for an off-camera TTL cord, please tell me what is the difference between it and the SC-17. Both have coiled cords and have the same number of contacts, right? Wouldn't an SC-17 work the same, or is there something special about it? I'm not saying anything negative about you choosing to buy the recommended cord for the camera/flash combo; I like to buy the exact accessories, too. But...I already own an SC-17!

Thanks.

DG

David: According to Nikon the SC-29 is specifically for using the D2H with the SB-800. The hotshoe adapter that fits on the camera prism has a red focus assist lamp which apparently substitutes for the SB-800 focus assist lamp. When the SC-29 is in use I can't make the focus assist lamp on the SB-800 turn on, so apparently the assist lamp on the SC-29 is a 100% replacement.

Makes sense because if the flash is mounted on a bracket some distance from the camera the SB-800 focus assist lamp might not be at the correct angle. With the SC-29 attached the focus assist lamp is in the same position as it would be with the SB-800 on camera.

As for the SB-800 using radio channels rather than depending on light sensors, I think I stumbled across that feature today while trying to make the SB-800 work with my Olympus C-3040Z (which has a preflash that cannot be disabled unless the optional outboard flash or flash cable is purchased).

While I never could get the Olympus camera and Nikon flash to cooperate, I did find the flash menu that allows selecting from among four channels and three groups for wireless flash.

Pretty amazing flash system. Now all I need is about another 11 SB-800 units.

Lex,

Thanks for the answer RE: the SC-29. I guess using a flash bracket would be pretty much luck-of-the-draw when it comes to the IR sensor on the flash lining up with your subject, especially the farther from the camera the subject is. For the shooting I've done in the past, it wasn't a problem with my N80 and Sigma EF500 Super flash.

I'm actually looking at the Sigma flash for the digitals that is somewhat comparable to the Nikon. It's much less than the Nikon and if my previous Sigma flash was a good indication of their performance, this one will be great, too.

DG