Canon Service Center in NJ vs the one in CA, 10D trouble

tom_christiansen

Folks,

Canon has two repair places in the US. One in Jamesburg, NJ and one in

Irvine, CA. Is one of the two repair places better than the other?

My 10D is causing trouble. It locks up every now and then and will

likely have to go in for repair. Thankfully, I have two months left on

the warranty. When it

locks up, none of the round buttons on the rear of the camera works.

For instance, I cannot review any images and cannot make selections in

the camera menu (I can scroll up and down with the command dial, but

that's it). When this happens, the only cure is to take the battery

out and leave it out for a few hours. - Not exactly a good solution.

I have followed the suggestions given by Canon Tech Support: Cleaning

the battery and lens contacts. Doesn't help.

Any suggestions as to what might cause something like this?

Thanks,

Tom

Lockups can also be caused by the lens you are using (some lenses are more prone to causing lockups than others - what lenses are you using?), or your CF card (often cured by re-formatting it in the camera). Any other symptoms you observe can be helpful in diagnosing the problem. Check the LCD on the top plate to see if it shows an Err condition and note the Err number if it shows, and that the aperture display makes sense (rather than e.g. 0.0).

I can't help you with your 10D problem but I can highly recommend Canon's NJ repair facility. I have sent my 20D body and a lens to this facility on 2 seperate occasions and turn around time door to door was 1 week for the body (focus problem), and 10 days for the lens. They are good with communication and will send you an email with an inventory of what they received from you, and an invoice with a list of work performed when it is returned. Turn around time for me is quicker because I live in Mass.

Hi Tom,

I'm located in SoCal and have walked my equipment into the Irvine facility several times over several years and they have ALWAYS bentover backwards to make it happen for me. I've walked in with two broken EOS 5QD (BTW, these bodies were Japanese market only), film bodies that both needed command dial replacements and they fixed them BOTH within 3 days! I've also broken one of the EOS 5QD baseplates after slipping on a scafolding at a CART race in the rain and they had it fixed for me in less than a week. I've had a new EF 50 1.4USM with a loose front element and an EF 85 1.8USM with a lose lens mount in for repairs and both were fixed free with a smile and a 3 day turn around. I've had an EOS 1|N and PB-E1 booster cleaned and a shutter button on the booster replaced in less than a week, of course I had to pay for that one. I had one of my EF 300 2.8L lenses cleaned and lubed and it worked like a champ when I got it back. I've had several EOS 1N bodies and PB-E1 boosters CLA'd too, all less than a week and 100% when I got them back. I recently took my EOS 1D and EOS 1DS bodies in for a sensor cleaning and they came back absolutely spotless after I took a lunch break and returned to pick them up N/C!

I got nothing but praise for Canon Irvine!

Cheers/Chip

• 10 years later...

<p>Before you ship your camera off try some simple troubleshooting techniques. Take out both the batteries, including the little date/time battery and leave them out for half an hour or so. While the batteries are out clean the contacts on both the lens and the body. Finally when you put the batteries in carefully and install the lens making sure it is seated correctly format the card in camera. Then try shooting a series of pictures. If it works keep using it and if not mail it to Canon in Costa Mesa with a good description of the problem. Here's a video on cleaning contacts.<br />

http://digital-cameras.wonderhowto.com/how-to/clean-camera-contacts-dslr-334500/</p>