Neoprene? "neverready"-type case for 1D-series?

ralph_jensen

(Sorry to ask such an unglamorous question!)

Yes, I'm fully aware of the limitations of old-fashioned "never ready" cases,

objections to which have led me to purchase more than a dozen different

LowePro etc. bags with fancy (but bulky) separate "office cubicles" for each

piece of gear.

But I'm looking for the most compact way of protecting the camera body (with

or without a standard prime mounted) when dumping it into a bag (I generally

use unpadded bags or take out those cubicle dividers, instead putting each

lens in a snug tube-style belt-mountable case to protect it from the other stuff

in the bag).

I found through two $30 tries that the Zing and OpTech neoprene never-

readies -- even in "large Pro SLR" size -- do not fit the 1Ds body's thickness

and height.

So right now I'm using the 20x20? camera wrap cloths (velcro in each corner)

sold by Calumet and others. The camera wraps are OK, but they are bulkier

than they need to be (when air carry-on space is tight) and don't seem to offer

equal protection all around the body.

Any other suggestions? (besides clothing, which I've also tried) Thanks!

I know you've asked for other suggestions beside clothing, but I find that my 1D Mk2 with 50 1.8 fits snugly into a thick, fluffy fleece beanie hat - useful when I want to carry my camera in something other than a purpose-made camera bag. The hat is nicely padded and the fluffy lining stops the camera from being scratched.

Go to a tailor and have a custom neverready case made. I've had many things made at

tailors and machine shops and they always fit and work better than generic products.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I bought a nice neoprene neverready case in Japan. It comes in two sizes and has a detachable strap. It doesn't fit as snugly as a Zing, but will not stress your lensmount, which is something a Zing can do. I don't remember the name of the manufacturer and the case has no name tag. Perhaps one of the Japan resident Photo.net regulars can help.

Back in the day, 1960-1980s, most SLRs were sold with a fitted case with strap. The case

usually attached via the tripod socket. When you wanted to shoot, you unsnapped and

opened the top cover. To change film you had to remove the whole dad burn thang, hence

"neverready case." To make matter worse they usually only worked with a 50mm or small

lens. The vintage neverready was leather. Late models were usually plastic.

Personally I prefer my bodies butt naked.

- Robert Hunter

<P><I>"What is the advantage of using such cases?"</I></P>

<BLOCKQUOTE>1. It's never ready! So you have to learn to think fast to get the shot.</BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>2. Nostalgia?</BLOCKQUOTE>

- Robert Hunter

"I like to use my Japanese made "never-ready" case when I'm traveling light

and store the camera in a regular backpack. "

My situation exactly! It's only for storage in a bag of gear, not for shooting

(which of course was the flaw of the traditional "neverready" case: they were

too cumbersome when shooting). Thanks for posting a photo of what I'm after.

And Witolda and Puppy, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try a larger hat first,

and if that doesn't work, I'll head for a tailor . . . .

I have a few comments about ever-ready cases, but not specific to the Canon 1Ds. The generic never-ready cases cover too much, specifically the controls on the back, necessitating its total removal when actually operating the camera. I loved the canon-branded case for my AE-1 and it did quite a job in protecting the camera. I obtained one for an EOS 5 and although it is much more cumbersome to access the camera, it does suit its purpose. When I don't want to bring even a holster pack, I use the ever ready case. The EH-7LL size one allows me to mount a 50mm f/1.8 with a properly mounted (not reversed) ET-65 hood, or my 20-35mm f3.5-4.5 (which has a large diameter 77mm front filter) without the hood. I usually pocket my 200E flash since the oncamera flash is blocked by the hoods, to allow a nice setup for going to indoor events with the family. Once, in a pinch, I used a fleece beenie cap, but I was concerned about all the loose fuzz that worked its way onto the camera.

I think it is either the Soft Pouch-Body Cover-AF-Pro or the D-Pro by Optech. It fits very snuggly and protects my 1D MkII with 50mm f/1.4 attached (with hood reverse mounted). I use it only for storage and transport while in my Lowepro bag. Unfortunately I do not have pictures of it. It works really well though...

'Puppy Face', I'm interested in your suggestion of using a tailor to make a cover or case, and would like to know what material(s) you get to get them to use?

Meanwhile, I too use a synthetic fleece beanie hat for temporary protection of my bulky SLR & 28-70 lens when I don't have time to stow it in the proper compartment and need to throw it into the unpadded top section of my bag.

Also, does anyone have any advise on how useful (or not) the neoprene style cases etc. are for padding and water protection?

Thanks for any ideas.