OT: New Orleans Jazz Photographer Herman Leonard -- Documentary on Sundance tonight

michael s.

Tonight (August 29) is the premier of a Sundance Channel documentary describing

Herman Leonard's efforts to recover his studio and its treasure of jazz

photographs and archives, badly damaged by Katrina. <p>

<a href=http://www.sundancechannel.com/film/?ixFilmID=7241>Program description

and schedule</a>.

thanks Michael. Rene, the schedule that came up via Michael's link was for EST. I double checked on my Cable listing. Now, however, I don't know if they adjust automatically for time zones somehow....I guess that is possible. Me and Michael are both EST as far as I know.

should be a good show. I just saw parts of Spike Lee's N.O. Special "...when the levees broke" with Winton Marsalis talking a lot in the section I saw. Was very informative. Although, getting me to sit in front of a TV for what 6 hours? is impossible. I'll probably watch it (Spike Lee's) in bits and pieces over the next month.

Strangely this aired in the UK about a week ago (makes a change to get it first), it strikes a nice balance between his photographic history and the current (harrowing) situation in New Orleans. He is still making very beautiful photographs and the young woman who 'takes care of business' for him is a complete star - do not miss it. Johnny.

I don't yet get Redford's creation(?). I just (few weeks) moved from Mexico and the cable co. held me hostage just to get their "deal" of DIGITAL phone, DIGITAL cable, and DIGITL internet, then get it wrong. My window of installation was my Fridays off 8am to 8pm.

Sorry for the rant.

Thanks for the head-up, Michael. The documentary was great. My guess is that Herman will be back in New Orleans eventually but it will take time before our neighborhood is back.

I've only met Herman once but his is a familiar face that I was used to seeing quite often around the neighborhood. And a very nice man, too...

I enjoyed it, too.

For those who might not have had a chance to see it, the schedule linked above indicates that it will be shown a number of times.

Parts are uplifting, but this is by no means a 'pollyanna' production.

The depiction of Herman Leonard (now 83 in fact, though that was hard to believe given his energy, affect, etc.) was surpisingly detailed, given that this was just a one-hour film and he was not on-camera for the entire hour ... or even close.

• 2 weeks later...