Elan 7 vs. EOS 3

roland_skye

whats the problem with the eos 3? you didn't say why your bummed. i use the elan 7n, it's light, $300, quiet as a mouse, i can afford to have 3 of them, the 7n is the best bodie for low light AF, (not the old version wich was poor,) the eos 3 is heavy, noisy, $800, but more accurate. but for $800, i want a freindlier viewfinder, exposure settings printed on the negs, and a little more quietness. my 2 cents. tim

Why is it bumming you out? Is it that it weighs too much and makes that goddawful noise when you press the shutter? The Elan 7 is very quiet, and much lighter. I would assume that the quietness would be very helpful shooting weddings, but I don't know as I have not shot weddings.

I personally would hate to shoot a wedding with a noisy camera, it draws too much attention. The EOS 3 seems to have a nice bright viewfinder, which is much better than the 7's miserable dark little viewfinder. There are trade-offs. I don't see why Canon cannot roll the quiet efficiency of the 7 into a package with the nice bright finder and other features of the 3.

Well, in the final analysis, you should just buy an Elan 7 and use it. They are very cheap. I bought mine new for $200.00 here in Tokyo.

Hmm the EOS 3 should be a better cam. If it is OOF, send it to Canon for a CLA and that should help it focus correctly.

I happen to be in the process of sending one of my 20d's back for service it rear focuses a little. I would recommend the service route. Less expensive I dare say.

Here's what I am having as an issue and its with all lenses.<div>00BrVQ-22884884.jpg.3db574e264e12dfe9ea3aba75535f1ac.jpg</div>

Roland,

My EOS-3 was purchased new in Oct. '04. It worked perfect until about three weeks ago. It just stopped locking focus when I selected FP manually. It would still lock focus in ECF about 50% of time and using 45 CP's auto it locked focus 100% of time.

I sent to Canon, in Elk Grove Village, IL, and they repaired it under warranty and I received it back in about 10 days. Works perfect again in all focusing modes.

Cliff

I have not used Elan 7n, but I've used both Elan 7 and EOS 3, and to my experience, EOS 3 is a much better camera. AF on EOS 3 is much better than that of Elan 7, especially in those low light conditions. The only positive point of Elan 7, compare to EOS 3 is the mirror noise. Elan is very quiet and EOS 3 is loud.