your sexiest classical camera

Call me crazy, but I have stated repeatedly in front of my girlfriend that the Graflex Miniature Speed Graphic is my camera with the most sex appeal (and she seems to agree). I simply love the design and the classical lines and everything. Although its pictures are always great, I rarely use it as it is super "high-maintenance" and shooting with it takes a lot of time and I always get something wrong. The RZ67 is a heavy bastard, I love taking pictures more with it because of its foolproof operation.

<p>On the other hand, my "cutest" camera at the moment is a Braun Super Paxette I. This 35mm rangefinder is a really sweet and tiny thing, I fell in love as soon as I unwrapped it and held it in my hands. Too bad the lens is only a triplet.

Dan- I gotta agree with you about those Beaulieu movie cameras. As a teenager seeing the ads in Modern and Popular Photography in the early 70's I thought the Beaulieu 4008 series were the most beautiful machines made by man! I didn't even have any serious interest in movie cams, just thought the Beaulieu's were gorgeous. Man, that brought back memories- heading downtown to the stationer's store at the beginning of every month to pick up the latest photo mags. I read those things cover-to-cover back then. Nowadays I can't abide them.

Hmm....

Well, if you like the "James Bond" kind of sex appeal, my Minolta 16 II (a telescoping subminiature with a nodding resemblance to the much more expensive Minox that Bond would carry) would be it -- 10x14 mm negatives, speeds to 1/500, drop-in loading (from 1960, but an obvious copy of the Minox system dating from 1936), and a high quality lens, and it *really* fits in a shirt pocket.

For "real world" sexiness, though, it's my tired old Zeiss-Ikon 250/7 Ideal, with the leather torn up and the Ica ground glass back. Large format, folds up small, and the pop-off backs make multiple exposures quick and easy. Double extension bellows lets me get close -- really close, into 1:1 macro territory (though a macro on 9x12 cm film is less impressive than on 35 mm; you need to make the image a good bit bigger than the object to fill the 9x12 frame with a bug's eye). The Tessar is sharp enough to record license numbers from a block away, and the camera can be hand held, if you have a steady hand and good light. It's like a Speed Graphic without the focal plane shutter -- and without several pounds of aluminum, brass, and steel.

It's <a href="http://http://westfordcomp.com/classics/vitessa/index.htm"> my Vitessa.</a> My wife won't let me out of the house with it. The combination of my incredible good looks and this camera makes women helpless. My second choice is<a href="http://westfordcomp.com/classics/walesbaby/walesbaby.htm"> This camera.</a> Women want to mother me when they see me with it.</a>

Now, Frank, You're getting into that same sort of dangerous territory that led Margaret Hungerford to come out with her classic 19th Century line of "Beauty Is Altogether In The Eye Of The Beholder".

Still, for what it's worth, my vote would be for the KW Patent Ettui, a pre-WW2 plate camera made in both 6.5 X 9 cm and 9 X 12 cm format. It normally comes in Henry-Ford approved basic black, but if you're lucky you'll find it in all sorts of other hues like red, blue, brown and grey.

The "sexiest" tag is because it's such a beautifully compact beast when folded, you'd never think there was a full-size plate camera inside just waiting to be revealed. My smaller format 6.5 X 9 cm model is so tiny when folded, that when it arrived as an Ebay purchase, I originally thought I'd been sent a cigarette case by mistake. It really is a "quart in a pint pot", and apparently won the designers Guthe and Thorsch many an award for engineering design brilliance.

If I were handing out a second prize, I'd call it a draw between the original 1937 art-deco AGFA Karat 6.3 and the Wirgin Edinex from the early 30s. Both are 35mm cameras of amazingly small dimensions, with retractable lens/shutters, but achieved in different ways. Vive La Difference!! LOL from PN

I was back home with the kids photographing a local site, when this guy and girl come by. He had a brand spanking new canon digital with one of those long lenses and a bulging bag.

He rounds this corner with his friend and announces "Now THAT'S a camera!" It was my old beat up Rolleiflex Automat.

When he left I told my son I could probably pick up 10 more for the price of that one lens dangling from around his neck.