D2X, Picture Project, Nef conversion, etc...

olivier_reichenbach

I have just received my D2X. Wonderful. Unfortunately, at this moment, my work schedule

doesn't allow me to play with it much. Forgive me for the lengthy post, but I would greatly

appreciate if some new D2X users out there could help me make sure I am correct in

understanding that:

- You cannot install Picture Project unless you remove Nikon View from your hard disk

(this sooo Nikon-like!)

- You cannot edit and/or convert Nef files from the D2X with a version of Nikon Capture

prior to vers. 4

- Picture Project does NOT offer any conversion function, whereas Nikon View does offer

some,

- Picture Project does not support grayscale images, even in Jpeg format (!!!),

- You cannot view images in PP unless you "import" them (as stupid and amateurish as

Apple's "iPhoto), and when you have several thousands of them, scattered in tens of

folders on three different hard disks, you really need a whole night and a complete bottle

of Aspirin,

- Also, every time you add ONE image to a folder, PP won't automatically refresh its

content, and you have to re-import the folder (!!!!),

- You can't even see icons of your hard drives in PP,

- Now, even if you saved Nikon View on another hard disk (like I did), you can't see good

images of D2X Nef files with it, only bad jagged edged thumbnails.

In other words, If I want to shoot Raw files, I MUST use Picture Project, whis is an almost

useless amateur program, which forces me to get rid of Nikon View, which I still badly

need. How's that for sheer stupidity?

Also, I just spent a little fortune for this camera, and now I HAVE to go and buy Nikon

Capture 4 if I want to shoot Raw? Am I correct?

Now, I am not the kind of guy whoo keeps bashing his preferred brands, but is this a let-

down or what?

Thanks for your help.

some of your points are not correct, but the whole picture is. PP is really not user friendly and falls short of basic functions. Besides, when you delete a pic from a "collection", it will not delete it phisically, so you will have to do it yourself manually... lots of work to do by the software dept at Nikon.

Marco, you can delete the file with PP from the "ALL Photos" Folder, in this case you can choose if you want or not to delete the file from the disk. It is my understanding that PP is not meant to interface us with the HD folders, I usually create a new folder on the PC disk each time i do an "import" from the camera and leave all images there, regardless of the content of the image. PP allows me to include each image in one or more PP "virtual" folder, so I have a PP folder for Nature; Family; Macro and so on, and several disk folders Img0001; Img0002; Img0003 and so on my disk. Of course, I only use PP to browse my photos, and Capture/Photoshop to edit them. One nice thing is that if you perform corrections with Capture to your NEFs, PP will show the thumbnail image with the corrections. I also created different keywords, they are stored by PP in the IPTC data of the file, so that you can use them with your next image database program. The PP database with the folder list, and image-folder link is an .MDB file which I can save to have a Backup, and this appeals me also. So, all in all, you can count me between the satisfied Picture Project users. Marco

No, you do not have to buy Capture 4 to shoot raw with you D2X.

Get rid of PictureProject, download and install NikonView 6.2.5. It has worked with the few D2X NEFs that were on internet. And you should get the latest Capture 4, it has stability issues, but it is still the best there is for now.

It's pretty clear that you installed PP incorrectly. The best installation method is to place it directly into the wastebasket and forget it. As mentioned above get Nikon View (free) and probably capture. You can open RAW files with photoshop CS as well as with capture but with capture you can install custom curves (very useful) and shoot tethered to a computer.

I tried using Picture Project when I got my D-70 and quickly realized it's only value is as a coaster--one of the worst programs I've ever seen. I didn't even take the copy that came with my D2X out of the envelop. I use Capture (I mean is another $100 that big a deal after shelling out five large? Yeah, they should include it but they don't) to open and tweak RAW and then open in PS from Capture. I download the original files using windows copy function and bypass any and all image programs which just complicate the process IMO.

Guys, you made my day! Thanks for your prompt replies, and for showing me I'm not the

only moron who dislikes PP. It really looks like a bad clone of Apple's iPhoto. How can they

sell a professional camera like the D2X with such amateur software? I'm on my way to get

Capture 4.

BTW, Patrick and Tuomas, I did update to Nikon View 6.2.5 and it's okay. Works the same

as prior versions but with D2X Nef files. Thanks for pointing me to it. The only problem I

have with it is that it won't recognize my French keyboard (I live and work in French) and

will transform all my accents into some Japanese gibberish. It makes for very difficult

reading of my left side directories. Any idea why? I have a Mac, OS 10.3. I have asked

Nikon, but I don't expect any intelligent answer.

Nikon European costomers can get the Capture upgrades for free, and they're not trial versions. However, at the present moment the service is unavailable due to server upgrade. This applies to customers of products registered in the European market.

Again a demonstration that the different prices (US vs. Europe) are reflected in different level of service. Another thing I read is that every user of D2X automatically gets a replacement unit for the duration of service (this was advertised by Nikon Norway; I'm not sure if it applies to other Euoropean countries.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to the forum. I came back to Nikon after a short departure into Leica Land. Picked up a D2x last week.

Looks like Capture 4 is the way to go since PhotoShop CS hasn't provided the RAW converter. I'll need capture 4 anyway for the wireless WT-2 to make it go remote.

Ken Mahnke