Digital photo borders that look like frame mats

I have seen numerous digital photos posted here that have borders

added to them that look like a mat that one would see in a framed

print. I know how to add a simple single color border in PhotoShop. I

am curious to know how to get the multi-color/multi-layer look that I

am seeing added to other peoples work.

Dan. There's a nice pre-installed action in PS7 called 'Drop Frame' that will probably give you the effect you require. It puts a shadow around two sides of the picture giving the impression of two levels. Use this action after puting a thin black line around the photo first.

If this action is not visible, click on the small black arrow in the top right hand corner of the action pallet and highlite 'Frames'. This will open the set. Then scroll down to 'Drop Frame' and off you go.

• 2 weeks later...

I use framing on my prints on PN. They are big and black with my name prominantly displayed. Why do I use them? I use them because I want to establish my identity and to discourage their unauthorized use elsewhere.

I do not see this as a problem and do not understand why others do either. After all, when you look at any image on a computer screen it is surrounded by all that Microsoft stuff. I simply ignore the framing knowing full well that it is not a part of the image. I hope that others understand that in the "real world" they would never be displayed with this frame. And the world goes on...