ND Grad filter Vs PS Blending

Hello

I have recently returned to film for my stock landscape work (still

shoot digital for weddings) and am wondering on people's experience

blending images of different exposures as opposed to using ND Grads.

<p>

I have always used grads on my 35mm and digital gear however I have

recently purchased a Bronica SQA (which is great BTW) along with the

40mm wide angle. My Cokin P series are not big enough for the 95mm

filter and the grad set (either Lee or Cokin) and holder is not

cheap! This is what has got me very interested in digital blending.

<p>

I have purchased the FM DRI pro plug-in. I have only tried it

briefly on some 35mm scans but have not been impressed so far as the

skys on my shots have had a strange colour shift. (I am guessing I

need to experiment with different settings) and that it will work

fine. <p>

Would appreciate your thoughts, is anybody getting good results with

digital blending? Are there any pros out there using this method (or

the FM DRI plug-in) or should I just start saving for the Cokin Z/Lee

filter system?<p>

Thanks

Hi NL, I guess this is a personal-taste sort of thing, but I would personally much prefer using a ND filter. While I can get close using Photoshop techniques, I still can't quite duplicate (to my satisfaction anyway) what I can get using a split or graduated ND filter. I use "digital blending" only as a last resort - when I didn't use a ND filter but wish I had. If I was going to shoot some spectacular scene that would benefit from using such a filter, I believe I'd bite the bullet and buy one that fits. By the way, have you tried using a Lee or Cokin filter simply taped to your lens - as opposed to using their holder to anchor it? This might work - sure you'd have to fumble with things a bit more but the end result should be the same. Good luck!

This conversation comes up regularly in these forums. Here's the basic technique.

-Take the same picture twice (use a tripod). One exposed for the sky, and the other exposed for whatever is in the bottom half of your shot.

-Open both pictures in PS (after scanning if required), and copy one picture as a new layer onto the second (let's say properly exposed sky on top of properly exposed ground)

-Create a layer mask on the top layer, and use the gradient tool to blend the two layers.

I don't have any immediate examples to show you, but I'm sure a few others could provide some.

I can say that I am definately impressed with the flexibility of blending images in photoshop. Like a previous post mentioned, you can go as simple as emulating the standard ND grad using the gradient tool and a layer mask or you can use much more complex (and sometimes time consuming!) techniques. Here are a couple helpful links:

Good general info:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending.shtml

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/blended_exposures.shtml

This technique (and variations) is great for taking night shots with lights:

http://www.erik-krause.de/index.htm?./blending/

Anyway, hope this helps.

Brian

I prefer using the graduated ND's. Though I've recently I've taken to a pseudo-blending RAW exposures if the grad didn't work as well as I hoped. I use the filters then if the exposure isn't quite right still, I'll take the same RAW file and develop twice in PS. One for the sky and one for the ground then try feathering out the mountains or horizon as best as I can. I've only done this a few times though as the results are usually cleaner and takes less time if you can shoot it right the first time.

• 2 years later...

From information on FM DRI plug-in it seems a good plugin and am interested in

purchasing it. Does anybody know whether it is compatible with Photoshop Elements 4?

There is no definitive answer on this anywhere even on FredMiranda website.

Thanks

Sue

• 1 month later...