Cheap super wide angle for 300d......

chase_heger

Manual focussing can get a bit tricky with the 300d/10d/20d due to their small and dim viewfinder. OTOH, the Zenitar 16/2.8 has the last mark before infinity at 3 meters on the focus ring, so anything farther away than say 5-10 meters should be okay with the infinity setting...

BTW: In europe, these fisheyes sometimes sell for as low as 100 EUR (a bit more than 130$ at the current rate) on the big auction site.

Have fun,

maf

I use a Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 fisheye on my 300D/DRebel. It works fine. It is manual focus, but you can just estimate the distance and set the lens' focus ring accordingly. Stopped down to f/4, or better yet, f/5.6 results in a nice sharp image.

However, these are fisheye lenses, and they have a great amount of barrel distortion. The distortion can be removed (de-fished) with free software (Pano Tools), or within newer versions of Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, etc. However, this does leave the edges a bit soft. BTW, a 16mm fisheye is considerably wider than a regular 16mm lens, even after the image has been de-fished.

I bought a Zenitar fisheye off ebay- the seller's ID was "Zenitar" if that helps- good feedback, and I had no problems. My only ebay purchase to date. That was $120 or so, about 4 months ago. I'm well pleased with the lens- I'm not trying to defish it or anything.

Watch the mounts when you shop for these. They make them in two or three mounts, including Pentax K, which is what I use. But you'll also see them sold with a screwmount, with adaptor for your camera mount. I'm not sure how, or if, the metering and auto aperture work in that case.

<I>"...with adaptor for your camera mount. I'm not sure how, or if, the metering and auto aperture work in that case."</I>

<P>

M42 screw mount with EOS (EF mount) adapter: Metering works fine in Av and M modes, but auto aperture doesn't work no matter what mount you get it in, so it really doesn't matter. I bought it in M42 with EOS adapter, since that way I can use it with other cameras as well.

<P>

I agree about the Sigma 14mm though. It's a nice lens, and used you might be able to find one in your price range. Another option is the Tokina 17mm or the mid priced zooms that should be shipping in the next few months: Tokina 12-24, Tamron 11-18mm.