Anybody used Brother printers?

Hi there,

Has anybody used printers made by Brother for both photos and documents? There's a

new multifunction model coming out (in Hong Kong, at least) - the DCP-110C - which

claims to do photo printing as well as documents plus other multifunction features (scan,

copy, fax, coffee maker, foot massage, etc...).

So, any comments? About Brother in particular or multifunction units in general? Do their

inks have decent archival properties? Are their scanners sufficient for home use?

Thanks in advance.

My business has depended on a MF9600 since early 2000. It's got more bells and whistles than even Brother knows. It's served me incredibly well, printing work from three heavy users through a server...certainly hundreds of thousands of prints. I'll soon replace it with a fast printer-only from Brother.

If you want good photos, and if you want longevity, buy Epson or HP or even Canon. Brother over-promises IMO.

Hi John,

Thanks for your response. Perhaps I should have noted the model I was looking at was

essentially an ink-jet designed probably for soho use. I have a fairly decent digi copier at

the office (Minolta) with optional print/fax/scan modules - thinking about getting those to

save space since my separate regular laser printer takes up room that could otherwise be

used for another untidy pile of papers and bills.

Anyway, regarding the photo printing, after looking around a bunch of reviews on-line, it

looks like nowadays it's not that big of a quality difference between brands and between

photo printers vs. multifunction printers, until you get to truly dedicated photo printers

with say six different ink cartridges. Anybody wish to confirm / comment on this?

Thanks again John for taking time to answer! Cheers.