Delivery Room: what gear to bring?

travis1

I carried my pentacon 6 - medium format -- When Emma was born, she was not breathing and had to be recusitated, spent a week in icu -- we got some great pics of everything -- don't forget to take pics of the doctors, nurses, and some of the others that may pass briefly thru -- the nurses love every baby that comes through -- and thank the nurses profusely -- my wife loves the pictures to this day --

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Travis (and good luck). Please see <http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=249700> all shot with a 35 Summicron and Tri-X. As well as concerns about the babies eyes there is another reason to use a non-electronic camera. When our son was born there were a few complications and the delivery ended up being done in an OR. The anesthesiologist has control over the OR. His main concern, if he sees a camera is, if gases are used, will it ignite them (oxygen). I was lucky...the anesthesiologist in our case took one look at my camera and actually said 'oh...a Leica...go ahead.'

to the naysayers, my wife wanted to go natural and laboured for 30 hrs... then we had a c-section --- we discussed the idea of a camera long before the moment arrived. I agreed that there would be no clinical shots (ones you wouldn't show mom) and the doctors do have final say -- we got some priceless photos --- even with an emergency situation -- the doctors let me handle a large, unweildy camera in the O.R. - we feel for us, the pictures are perfect and tasteful -- it all boils down to the fact that 1) you are not in charge - if the doctor tells you to get that thing outta there -- you have to obey - you are in his studio. (courtesy / safety) and 2)don't be intrusive

congrats on the little one...

Emma is now 19 months old... last night she picked up my camera, told me she loves me and then looked at my camera and said "love you, camera!"

you've got a lot of fun ahead

Travis - congrats on the new arrival - this may be OT, but if you've got access to a digital SLR, that'd be my recommendation - between being able to white balance and set ISO on the fly, shoot as much as you want and sort later, and know instantaneously that you've "got the shot," it's been my choice for delivery-room pics. We had two births that started in suite-like birthing rooms (low-light, yellow balanced), the second of which ended up in an OR for a c-section (strong, contrasty light, much cooler color balance). But as to lens selection, either way, I used a 50/1.4 both times (first time on film, second on DLSR -- about a 75mm effective f/l on my DSLR), and it was fine. In a perfect world, I'd say a 35/1.4 would do fine.<div>00BVMF-22360384.jpg.a2da56e9c6b34b6741b28d6ffadb9686.jpg</div>

When our boy was born just over a year ago, the doctor recommended that we bring a camera. When I was called into the OR (my wife had a caesarian) the nurse asked if I remembered to bring my camera, too.

I brought my Bessa R with a 35/2.5 loaded with Tri-X. When the baby was born, the doctor gave the baby to me, and asked for my camera so he could take a photo of my wife and I with our boy. Had I known that, I would've brought my AF SLR and flash!! I handed him my camera and he remarked, "oh, this is an old style camera." But he nailed the focus perfectly (I had already set the exposure).

I am glad that we have photos of us in the OR as well as our boy on the scale. We don't feel that it cheapened the experience. I took maybe 5 shots in total and all of those were after the delivery.

Knowing what I do now, I'd bring an AF SLR and flash next time. It gets really hectic in there.

Good luck on your new baby!

Larry

Hey Travis - You have received a lot of responses already, and been given much advise. I recalled a thread from a month or so you may want to revisit. It is <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BBTg">here</a>.

<br><br>

About 1/4 of the way down is a photo posted by Ilan G. with a link to his web site and the birth of his child. The thumbnails are fine, but the larger photos you see upon clicking the thumbnails are very good. He does a good job of telling the story IMO. A direct link to the gallery is <a href="http://ilaaan.free.fr/anna/maternite/index.html">here</a>. His work may give you ideas.<br><br>

Good luck to you and your wife!

Travis,

I just thought of another idea. I have a Canon EOS camera and also a programmable remote cord switch. It can be programmed to snap a picture at specific intervals. If you had my setup then you could bring a tripod and setup the EOS with wide angle lens somewhere in the corner. You compose the frame, set the lens to MF, set your exposure and time to M and then set the switch to snap a photo every 10 minutes or so.

While you assist your wife in labor the camera will do the rest.

Congratulations!

I used a 50mm, and shot Delta 3200 @ f/4 during the long labor and delivery. There was barely enough light (which seems to contradict a lot of the posters in this thread). The OR is probably much better lit than the delivery room, so it depends on whether this is going to be a natural birth or not.

I was asked not to use flash. Given that you will be using higher ISOs, a digicam like the A75 will not be a good option. 50mm also seemed to be too long; next time I will use a 35 or a 28.

once again, thx for all the well wishes. It ended not so much about gears anymore but lots of interesting stories and experiences. Some very nice photos here, thanks. Your support and time are very much appreciated.<div>00BW02-22376984.jpg.3f36870b8fca14a21bffb067fe6c1cfe.jpg</div>

LOL! Thanks for that, Rene. You're so right.

It's difficult to think of good advice for such a wonderful photographer... somehow, I think your pics are going to be fascinating and I look forward to them.

Good luck with everything Travis. Congratulations to you and your wife. Stay simple with your gear. Changing lenses should be the last thing you think about!

Backups? We don’t need no stinking ba #.’  _ ,    J

<tt><blockquote>and you don't want to experience the whole thing through a viewfinder.</tt></blockquote>

This would be my main concern, but I do wish I had been into photography when both my boys were born. I'll never forget that first moment their eyes opened as long as I live, though.

My one word of advice that no one gave me is don't wear your best shoes.

Hello Travis,

Congratulations!

I am not sure if you remember me, I used to post here quite a bit a couple of years ago.

I just went through the similar experience last week when our son (third child) was born. I used Fuji S3pro and 17-55 zoom, set at ISO-800/1600.

Six years ago, I used M6 with 35 (either 1.4/2.0, can't remember), using ISO-1600 film.

On both occasions, I also used video (DV). To me, the video is more valuable than photos to the kids, as they really enjoys it!

Hi,

Everything is going to happen very fast. Ideally you should equip yourself with a Videocamcoder. Or your Canon A75. Just snap a few. Forget about lighting, exposure etc. Because the baby isn't going to wait for you. Just get pictures and relax. You will fell tense and excited about everything. And probably forgot to remove your Leitz len cap...

yes it happened too fast! the chickenpox infection that is. The virus caught me 3 days before her delivery. Im bed-bound, she laboured for 18 hours before a c-section. Ning was born...but I can't touch her for now....<div>00BcHg-22516784.jpg.3a8f7b0e103a9ddf2fbabc2d4b08b65e.jpg</div>