a piece. Is it safe to use third party batteries instead? I did a

google search and came up with a lot of results and wasn't sure which

one to trust. Any suggestions on what/where to buy these? Good/bad

experiences? <p>

BTW, these non-OEM batteries are chargeable with the charger that

comes with the camera, correct?

<p>

Thanks a lot.

I recently bought two sets of "2 for $9.95" BP-511's on ebay, and a year ago I bought two other cheapies on ebay for $10 each. They all work well on several different cameras (G1, ZR-20, DRebel, 20D). The original two batteries for the G1 died after just under 3 years. I'll be happy if the immatators last half that long, and I suspect they will do better than that.

I have larger capacity (1400 and 1500mAh, IIRC) 3rd party, ebay cheapies. And they outlast my Canon batts. I will never buy another Canon battery unless it comes in a kit! They all work on my Canon single and dual chargers.

"BTW, these non-OEM batteries are chargeable with the charger that comes with the

camera, correct?"

Not always. My 10D charger had issues with some Sunpak-branded BP511's that I

purchased from Amazon. My 20D charger has issues with some Delkin-branded BP511s,

though others of the same brand are ok. Also, MyDigitalDiscount batteries failed to

charge in my 20D charger and MDD refuses to acknowledge them as defective, so I'm

stuck with return shipping and a possible restocking fee.

I bought two unbranded cheapies from 7dayshop. One of them can maybe fire the D30's shutter once before a flashing empty battery symbol appears, the other is capable of about 60-70. The original canon battery I have that came with the s/h camera outlasts it several times over. Moral - buy a brand name, even third party.

But then there's guys like me that have bought 6 no-name BP-511's and have had no failures. I think the trick is to buy more $5-10 batteries than you think you'll need & toss one if it goes bad.

Unless your luck runs like Isaac's of course. :)

That's weird Isaac...

I too have bought non-OEM BP-511's from 7dayshop and they've been fine ('till now!). They have a higher mah rating 1200 and 1300 mah compare to the Canon's 1100... accordingly they have lasted longer too!

I have two different types, one looks very like the Canon - the other is a definate silver colour, but both are ok with me - maybe you got a dodgy batch?

Concensus here in UK, is that they are BETTER than Canon's, have come from the same manufacturer as Canon sources from anyway, and as in these cases have more maH, last longer....?