EOS 3 and Infrared Film

ajpn

I have seen a lot of old posts about how the EOS 3 *will* most likely fog IR

film when it is released. Let's see that was in 1998! Of course after it was

released no one really accessed what the final result was.

Has anyone used IR (in particular Kodak HIE) in it? And if so was the fogging

liveable? What about any color IR film?

Any recommendations on what works best?

Inside the EOS-3's film casing, there's an IR light that keeps track of the film, I believe to help the camera keep tract of frames...well, this little light does the fogging...I too learned the hard way years ago with mine. I threw out the processed roll as I could not live with this "special effect".

It does not change much during the past 8 years. I used EOS 3 and HIE for quite some time. In my case, the fogging is only in the sprocket hole area. I would say 95 percent (or more) of the frame area is usable. However, if you need to print more than the whole frame (e.g. using a filed film holder), the fogging can be very annoying.

The most annoying part is probably not the IR LED, but the little hole on the pressure plate. Since HIE has no anti-halation layer, the hole can be shown on the film when the light is right (or wrong).

I've made similar observations. The fogged area is very small, about 1..2 millimeters into the frame. The bigger problem is the hole in the pressure plate. You can overcome this problem in some cases by rotating the camera in the right way, so that the hole in the pressure plate is depicted in an rather turbulent part of the picture (let's say trees, grass etc.).

But in general I do not use my EOS 3 for shooting IR anymore. I've found an used Canon F1 (built in the 1970ties). My F1 has no holes or dimples in the pressure plate. But be careful, there are several versions of the F1 around (also AE-1), some of them with different pressure plates.

Hi,<br>

Refer to Nick Guy's comprehensive articles on <a href="http://photonotes.org/articles/ir-myths/">fogging of IR film with EOS cameras</a>, and <a href="http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-ir/">pressure plate cut-out problems with Koday HIE</a>.<br/><br/>

Looks like the EOS 3 experiences both fogging due to infrared film progression counters and pressure plate cut-outs. Most annoying!<br/><br/>

Regards,<br/>

Ken.