lubricant for metal rails...

dave_anton1

I have a metal TOYO 8x10M11 and I would like to know what lubricant

I should use on the rails. I had a piece of debris get caught in

between the sliders and it scratched the focussing rod as I

focused. I need to clean off the rods and re lubricate them. Does

anyone know how I should clean and re-lube my camera?

Another excellent teflon grease, and easier to find than the bicycle type, is Permatex Teflon Super Lube -- a clear teflon grease available from Radio Shack store in a small squeeze tube. Very, very slippery, stays where you put it pretty well, and inexpensive. I've used it for a long time in various applications -- it's *the* stuff for lubricating o-rings, works very well on tiny gears as well, and I've used it on the pallet sector in a slow shutter (though I haven't had the shutter long enough since then to vouch for its non-migration properties); I've also lubed focus threads on front-element focusing lenses with it with excellent results.

I didn't have any serious permanent damage. The brass rack had some minor pitting from the sand but it has been focusing very smoothly in the last 2 plus years since I cleaned it and applied the lubricant. I did use some spray teflon while I waited for the synco super lube to arrive. It seems to have been more tenacious about staying on than what I would expect from a spray while still being so thin a film to be undetectable.

Advise "DRY" type teflon spray lubes for any exposed surfaces and most close fitting wear surfaces. Dry graphite should also be useful but I suspect it could be a bit messy until the excess is either rubbed off or falls off on its own. Anything that leaves a "wet" residue will indeed only attract dirt and create unnecessary and obviously undesirable wear and tear on the hardware.

Test for any chemical reactions before extensive use and keep away from the optical surfaces.