M3 shutter release jamming

stuart_carroll

Hi all,

Just picked up a beautiful M3 DS. It had a CLA in 2004, and one of the shutter blinds was

replaced at that stage.

In testing the shutter speeds individually (which all seem and sound accurate), I noticed

that the shutter release button sticks down on 1/1000. This prevents the film from

advancing. It is easily remedied by turning the shutter speed dial slightly to the 1/500

position - then the shutter button pops up and the camera is useable again.

Anyone here had similar problems? Any idea how easy / difficult this is to repair? I have

contacted the seller who has kindly offered to refund or repair it for me, but just wanted to

get a feel for the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

There is likely a piece of material at the shutter's release pawl for the second curtain that is gumming up the works. The fix would involve removing the top cover, and cleaning out the area where the second-curtain release is. Moving the dial to the 1/500 area gets clear of the gummy part.

I'm thinking that it is a relatively easy repair.

But to know for sure means going inside and examining the area.

...Vick

Same thing happened with an M4. DAG said it was the shutter brake that needed adjusting, that it's quite common as they age. Mine was already maxed out on the adjustment (he said that's also quite common if it'e been used a lot as mine was) so he rebuilt the brake. Problem solved. If you're within the guarantee for the CLA, I'd send it back.