Why a EF-s Macro?

min_wong1

Personally, I am very P'O'd with Canon for their decision to make this an EF-S lens. This is the lens I've been waiting for them to produce since I bought the 50mm macro. 1:1 without a special converter, USM motor to make it fast and quiet. I'd buy this lens in a heartbeat if I could use it on my Mark II's.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a thought on WHY Canon might have made this lens. Say they were looking for a way to make it clear that EF-S is here to stay (for the foreseeable future), a press conference would be taken to be just marketing. However, a prime, more over a special application prime, would be taken (as it was here) as saying that Canon has no plans (or perhaps no ability) to get rid of APS-C sensors. This lens sends that message.

No, it means there is a bigger market for EF-S lenses.

Right now, they are obviously working to duplicate the entire lens lineup in EF-S format. Think about it.

The 18-55 kit lens is basically a 28-90 kit lens.

The 17-85/IS is basically a 28-135/IS

The 60/Macro is basically a 100 Macro.

Never mind that there are already lenses that perform the same function. The basic message is that the EF-S lens is *designed* for digital, and therefore you should buy it. At a premium.

Don't be surprised if the next lens is a 40-125/4-5.6 EF-S priced at $650. (possibly a 40-125/4-5.6 EF-S IS priced at $900)