professional sports photographer tests the D2x in the real world & reports his findings

ellis_vener_photography

Okay, okay, I should have just said you "guys" instead of you "clowns." Sorry.

On the credibility issue, actually all internet posters are not created equal. Some have more credibility than others. I mentioned Rickman's above. Sorry, but I tend to put more stock (not blind faith) in the opinion of someone with his credentials than anonymous internet posters.

As to the question of him being an "ambassador" of Nikon, this field report was hardly written in that context. In fact, anyone reading it would recognize that this was hardly a formal review at all, but instead a casually written, hands-on field report.

Guy, he was clearly not referring to the D2Hs, but instead, multiple (meaning plural) D2H cameras.

With respect to the 7mp/8fps issue, I can't explain the benefit of this feature more clearly than Ilkka Nissila's words posted in another forum:

"The point of the crop is that since data transfer speeds limit digital cameras at this point, you can shoot at 8 fps (7MP) with the same camera you can also shoot at 12 MP, although a little slower. No other camera can do this. The 1D can do 8 fps at 8 MP but it can't do 12 MP and the pixel density of the D2X is MUCH higher, allowing better quality if you don't have a long enough lens to get a frame-filling shot at the 1.3x crop factor of the Canon. The second thing is that you get the rangefinder-like ability to predict motion from the outside of the frame since you can see a larger image than will be cropped."

If you don't see this as a beneficial feature to a sports photographer, well I just . . . .

Pulitzer is a prize that is given to photojournalists who shoot with the Nikon D2X exclusively. :-)

Rick Rickman is one of those pros who do some advertisting for Nikon. His portrait is among one of 50 pros that appear on the back cover of the 2003 Nikon catalog and his images are used inside. Others among those 50 are John Shaw, Bob Krist, etc. that we are probably more familiar with.

"Pulitzer is a prize that is given to photojournalists who shoot with the Nikon D2X exclusively. :-)"

Nicely put, Shun!

Now, what awards are there who shoot with a Canon?

I personally admire George Foreman's skills as he has proven that he can promote something totally different than what his (earlier) profession was!

Nice to see some positive words about Nikon, after all the kvetching about the D2x release of late ;-)

Sounds like Nikon's come up with yet another well-sorted pro camera, something they have a long history of doing...

As for in-viewfinder cropping, or sports frames or whatever, as is rightly pointed out above, this is an extraordinarily useful feature as any rangefinder user knows. The D2X is the first SLR to have it, aside from the little used Sigma Foveon DSLR cameras, AFAIK.

Even as an amateur, if I could afford the price and manage the heft, this sounds like a very attractive camera indeed...

At the moment Larry Price is a two-time Pulitzer winner and a spokesman for Olympus. Apparently he finds the E-1 adequate for his needs.

As I recall, when I first met him twentysomething years ago and saw his slide show from the coup in Liberia, he was using Nikon gear.

IMHO, photojournalists and other well known pros may be willing to lend their names to particular brands but they won't saddle themselves with equipment that isn't up to the task.