Reflective surface...

joshua jones

What is normally used as a reflective surface when doing studio

lighting shots? also, when i use this surface, how do i get a nice

even look with the background so it does not look like i just put a

piece of glass under the subject or such. thank you for any advice!

I just attempted this yesterday, so this if far from an expert answer. What I did was buy a piece of the thin cheap plexiglas from Home Depot and layed it on top of a dark blue blanket. I used a matching dark blue blanket as a background. (I don't have a budget for the fancy ones. :) I put one light at floor level aimed slightly up just to the left of the camera. I'm happy with the results I'm getting so far. They're far from perfect, but getting there. Unfortunatly, I only managed to get two shots in of my baby before he lost head control and hit the plexiglas :( So I've shelved any further experimenting until he's older. Too bad I didn't realize his reflection was cut off until I looked at them on the computer. That's one thing you'll want to watch for.

Anyway, if this forum lets me attach images, I'll attach one of them so you can see the results I got.

Michelle<div>00BrGp-22879584.jpg.7b99955af6f36295fcfd13ba365241a6.jpg</div>

Well, there's no real 'normal'.

Plexiglass/acrylic works well. So does dark tinted glass, which of course produces a dark reflection. A still life table can produce a nice, subtle reflection if lit correctly, for a more subtle effect you can use Colorama colourmat backgrounds, or if you're not into subtlety you could try their colourgloss