W/NW anything in low light...

monochrome11

Tom/Ben -- Either of you ever hear Etta James in a small place? Really something. This isn't Etta, I know, but Ben, you're at the right listening distance for a blues or jazz singer.

[sorry for OT commentary. I'm paying my "fine" by putting up a pic here.]<div>00BG9t-22016384.jpg.226e4415fdcf234af93ebc71627ee05e.jpg</div>

I first saw Etta James live in 1976 or '77 at a place called The Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach, California. Though she was probably nearing 40 (from one side or the other) she looked much older, was dangerously overweight, and appeared uncomfortable and in very poor health .... until the moment she started singing.<p><p>

My goodness! I was a big Sarah Vaughan fan (don't get me started there) and had only heard some Etta James recordings from the 60's. A woman I knew persuaded me to go, and I expected not to like Etta James -- too much belt, yelp, and holler, I figured, and not enough music. I couldn't have been more wrong. She was sensational. Different kind of singer than Sarah Vaughan, of course, but great.<p><p>

Etta is still performing, evidently, but not on the wicked road schedule she used to have. Bless her heart -- I wasn't sure she was gonna live through the second set.<p><p>

Back to blues photography, William Albert Allard did the photos for a "National Geographic" article several years ago on blues clubs. They're all available light, I think, and he used some little rangefinder-type camera whose name escapes me :-) . Some of those photos are on <a href=http://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/blues/>this page</a>, and you have to click on the thumbnail to get to the small pic, then click again on the small one to see a slightly bigger one.