opportunity to get either M4 or M5

It's a trade with a friend, my services for his goods. I use an M6 and have

used M2 amd M3, so I know what those are like, but never used an M5. I need to

be able to use both bodies, my M6 and whichever one I choose, M4/M5 together.

Will the M5 work well with the M6? Is the meter worth the all the other

differences of the M5?

I don`t like it for it`s size, so I sold mine. The meter takes an unavailable bettery, but there are work arounds. The cells are old and can fail at this point. I don`t know about replacements.

It was a well made camera, but time has shown the classic shape M body more popular. You can get a better condition M6 for the same money.

I think it's hard to go back and forth between an M5 and M6, because the metering systems are so different, and because the M5, being larger and heavier, has a different handling feel. BTW, the M4 tends to go for a high price. Are you sure you don't want to hold out for another M6? You could either get one identical to yours, or you could get a different finder magnification, for extra versatility. And you would have a meter in both cameras. I find it really easy to go back and forth between an M6 and an M6! And the M6 has been going for very reasonable prices lately.

I'd go for the M4 for its classic shape. I really like mine. Versus the M6, you get a built-in self-timer rather than a light meter. It's build quality is very high as well. Don't know much about the M5, but older light meters with defunct batteries are often not too helpful.

If you get the M5 you may find yourself leaving the M6 at home, at least that's what

happened to me.

The M5 is a 'different' M-series, if you can except the size - and many users like its shape/

size - the feature set is better than any other M, very well made and finished model in the

Wetzlar tradition, and meter and finder with readout are the best.

As can already be seen from previous posts, you'll either love or hate the M5 (there seems to be no middle ground in this case). However, compared to your M6, the M4 should feel right at home to you. Both bodies are the same size & weight, have the same film loading system, and the share same RW crank. You'll loose the meter (and the 28 & 75 framelines), but gain a self timer in its place. To you, other than the feel of the vulcanite body, any transition between the two bodies should be seamless.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

The M4 is a great camera, my favorite 'classic' body and in theory mixes the easiest with

an M6 because of its 'sameness', but I can't say in practice I find it all together true ( I like

to use my M5 with an ALPA 12 because of what the M5 has and the ALPA doesn't, a good

match). At one time a lot of folks had Nikons and Leicas strapped on their bodies and that

was a much odder mix in use. If you want a great meter and something fun with a

difference its an M5, if you just need another great Leica body in the traditional M2/M4

way (as you are familiar with) get the M4.

Both will be about the same price on the used market now, with an edge to the M4 maybe

as its easier to turn if you resell.

Self-timers... are great with family and friends, getting yourself (or just a 'body' in the

photo for size perspective when on one else is around) and occasionally setting up the

camera and walking away for a true candid shot - photographers with cameras to their

faces can make a difference a lone camera doesn't.

To the extent that you like your M6 I think you would like the M4 in preference to the M5. However I would think another M6 would be more acceptable assuming the same cost. However in a barter situation the M4 would seem to be the most attractive option. There is nothing wrong with the M5 except its size, shape, and weight differ substantially from the other M's. The metering system is also different and powered by a near unobtainable battery. Of course there is a work around but considering all the factors, the M4 would be the most attractive from my subjective viewpoint. .

Since I acquired my M5 several years ago, I find myself rarely taking the M6 or M2 out much anymore. (I use my Minolta CLE more than the M6 or M2.) You will either love or hate the M5. The heft tends to be an issue with some. But I have used both the M5 and M6 in tandem and never had trouble switching between the two.<p>

The chief feature of the M5 that sold me is the shutter speeds being visible in the viewfinder and the ability to change shutter speeds using the oversized dial without taking the camera away from your eye. I generally set the lens opening and then match-needle the shutter speed in the viewfinder.<p>

A word to the wise: don't buy an M5 sight unseen until you have handled it or used a loaner for several rolls. It may not be for you, whereas the M4 will feel and handle like your M6.<p>

Good luck on whatever you decide!

Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck

I'm sure other M5 users will agree that the metering system is nothing "like putting a 'mirror' in a rangefinder." Specifically, there is no increase in shutter lag, no additional shake as the meter retracts and no "slap" or other sound as the meter retracts. I don't know what the CL's shutter sounds like, but the M5's is no louder than that of any other M.

The M5 meter is very accurate and reliable and provides the tightest metering pattern of any M meter.

I love the M5 but might choose the M4 in your situation as it can be liberating to work with an unmetered body. Since you can readily sell whichever camera you choose and get another M6 if you find yourself dissatisfied, your decision involves minimal risk.

Hi, dear Joel. I'm owner of Leica M2. Recently i have purchased a splendid Leica MP (the actual version, of course) and subsequently a very nice Leica M5. The M5 work very well. It's a very intelligent camera, with a very accurate TTL meter. I solved the problem of the outlawed PX625 1,35 volt mercury batteries with an MR-9 adapter, purchased from www.smallbatterycompany.co.uk. This adapter employ a micro electronical circuit that reduce automatically the 1,5 voltage of the common silver oxyde batteries at the original 1,35 voltage of the PX625 batteries. The MR-9 adapter work very well.

Ciao

Vincenzo Maielli

"I need to be able to use both bodies, my M6 and whichever one I choose, M4/M5 together"

The M4 is virtually identical to the M6 in all respects other than the meter. The M5 has the shutter speed dial and crank rewind in different spots and is a different 'feel' to the holding because of the body shape. I would think, though I have no personal experience doing it, that the M4 and M6 would be more compatible used together.

I use an M6 and and M5 together. Only problem I ever have is I keep flipping the M6 over looking for the rewind crank.

If I had to get rid of one, I would keep the M5. Love the meter. I still have a 5-6 year stash of mercury batteries, but when I run out, I would convert the circuitry or use an adaptor like I do for my Gossen Luna Pro. Gossen sells one. I think it would fit in the M5, but I've never tried it.

Noise like mirror slap? Keep that rumor going. It may drop the prices enough so I can get another one.

Hil