Protecting a Canon EOS 1DmkII against sand

chris_rolling1

If you're going into a sand storm, you might want to look into the EWA U-AXP Underwater

Case, or something like that. In general, I'd say that if you use Canon weatherproofed L

lenses with a filter to seal completely, you should be ok. Just don't change lenses on the

beach... Whipe of carefully when you get back inside. Remember the 1D2 is a tool, not a

museum piece!

"is there anything special I should do.......to protect my lovely new camera against sand"

Absolutely nothing.

"I'm a bit of a loss here, very worried!"

Why?

And from your other thread:"never shot on a beach before, have always been careful to

avoid them!"

Come on in, the water's lovely. Honestly, your camera is less scared of the beach than you

are.....

Chris, you didn't get the camera to protect it but to take pictures I guess ?

Well, I don't have 1DmkII...so maybe I shouldn't say anything...

I bought EOS 1V for couple of reasons, one of them being the weather sealing. And yes, it happened couple of times that rain caught me out in the open. Neither the camera nor the lens suffered, although water was dripping from the outfit and people were giving me strange looks ;)

Hello All!

Thanks for all your replies...

Am personally just a bit worried by the sand destroying my beautiful new camera - its mainly to do with the fact that I've spent six months saving for it and on my first week of having it I don't want to break it. but everybody is right, it is a tool - and it would be a shame to miss this oppurtunity!

As for avoiding the beach :) I love the beach..... so I hope my camera does too!

again thanks for all your tips (and reassurance).

Chris.

HI Chris,

I was in Gulf Shores, Alabama for week earlier this month, and spent a considerable amount of time on the beaches shooting with my 1D Mark II. Just use common sense. You can change lenses while on the beach, just make sure there is no sand on your hands or strong winds kicking up sand at the time. Keep an eye on your histogram and be ready to compensate for the brightness of the sand.

Have fun,

Bob

The 1DMk2 is built like a tank and made to withstand a lot of punishment. I've lugged

mine all over the world and used it to death and the only bad thing that happened was a

cracked lcd cover that is easy to fix. If you're afraid of sand then leave the camera at

home.

If the sand is staying on the ground, just take the sensible precautions suggested above.

If the wind whips the sand up into a sandstorm, get your camera and yourself under cover.

A friend just fried his 10D (unsealed body, I know) by shooting in a huge cloud of fine dust created by cowboys driving horses down a trail.

He got great shots for a while, though, but didn't make enough on the job to pay for a new body.

I have used the same camera on the beach 6-8 times with no ill effects. I do trapse all the way back to the trunk or inside of my car to changes lenses. I try to pick the most likely lens before I get out of the car, but subjects change. If my walk takes me too far to get back to the car, so be it. I don't have the courage to change lenses in the rocks or on the beach. I do of course carry a polarizer and a UV, and I change those as needed. And yes I can see the yuk on the filter from the ocean environment. I did the same with my EOS 3 and it isn't well protected, and no harm came to it.

I was in Death Valley last Dec., and noticed that my rear dial on my 20D started to sound a little "gritty". I just blew into it off and on and that took care of the matter. I would try to keep the dial sort of covered, just with your hand or something, and listen to it every so often.

FWIW, I was using my 28-135 almost exclusively, a known dust magnet, and had no problems. I think outside of a real sandstorm, it's a non-issue