Original Nikon D1 worth buying?

I've been shooting with film cameras for some time now and would like

to add a digital body to the group. Something useful for events and

action shots that will produce at least a good 8x10 enlargement.

Currently I shoot with all Nikon equipment and would like to stick

with them. So far the cameras under $1,000 that I've been reviewing

are the D100 and D70. What about the Original D1? I've seen low

prices on this model as well. Would the D1 be worth buying today?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Cliff

I'd honestly say no on that one. The tech is almost seven years old now. The only thing you'll get with a D1 is the build quality of an F5-like body. Since the D1, there's been light years of improvements in technology.

I'd say go with the D70, or wait a few weeks for the D70s to be announced for real and see what that has to offer. A friend of mine shoots events and so forth with a D70 and it seems to hold up nicely. I shoot Canon personally, but all my Nikon friends say that the D70 is a robust little camera.

I think I would go wit hthe D70 as well. Although I use a Fuji S2, if given the choices you give, the D70 would be the one since it's much more technologically advanced and fine tuned. Wasn't the original D1 loaded with bugs? Wasn't there a problem with flash exposure as well? Unless your going to get one for 200 bucks.............why spend close to what a D70 costs and then deny yourself what the D70 has to offer?

I went through this loop and, while you get a heck of a lot of camera for the money, the

fact is you don't get a heck of a lot of sensor. It just goes to show you how much

manufacturers have to gain by failing to make the digital bits of their cameras

upgradeable - this same amount of camera in a film body fetches more money after the

same depreciation (and from a lower initial price).

If you're shooting products for websites, just maybe, but otherwise, don't do it.

I looked at the D1 series and concluded that really the D1x is the only one still worth

getting secondhand, and they fetch an appropriate price.

As a happy F80 user, I need slightly less camera, and I eventually went for a Fuji S2, which

is set to make me quite happy, I think.

The D1 is definitely dated, not so much for the resolution (2.74 MP), but for the awkward menu design and poor performance with Nikon flash units.

If your budget can stand a little more, I'd recommend an used D1x or D2h. Obviously, you won't have the "latest and greatest," but who does? (If you can actually get delivery on a DSLR, it's already out of date). Both of these cameras take excellent pictures - the D1x is marginally sharper of the two, but the D2h has better color, speed, battery life and ergonomics.

Don't get the D1. The only advantage it might have over a D70 is the ruggedness of the professional build and maybe autofocus speed. In every other way the D70 is likely to run rings around it. I also own a D100 and unless there is a unique feature you need that is not on the D70 then I would still advocate for a D70 over a D100. With the D70s expected soon the D70 will probably come down a little in price. I have not read about any features worth (to me) paying extra for in the D70s over the D70. The D70 and D100 can turn out excellent 8x10's.

If you are into Ultraviolet or Infrared photography, both D1 and D70 are excellent choices.

If you want a digital camera that will not let you do that but will give good regular color images, do not consider either of those.

I would suggest the D2H that would allow you to use your exiting lenses, be it AF or AI or AIS with metering. None of the other cameras mentioned will let you do that.

Of course newer bodies are better, but if you are on a budget and want to start with an entry level DSLR to become familiar with the technology then an older used model is a great idea. Unfortunately most of them are still overpriced by 15 to 20% so you have to shop well. The biggest thing to watch out for is the battery requirement. Make sure the batteries are readily available and fit within your budget. With older used Kodak models for instance the battery can cost as much as the camera. If the camera is missing cords and chargers etc, make sure they too are readily available. Good luck.

I'll go against the grain, here. I love the D1 although its long exposure performance is not that great. You can't use MicroDrives with it though and it doesn't have sRGB or Adobe RGB colour spaces (if that is important to you). You can meter with non-CPU lenses which you can't do with a D70.

If the price is right, consider it. I sold mine recently for US$350 and the new owner is very happy with the value. Perhaps you might want to look at a D1H: you can use MDs with it, the chip is slightly more refined and it has a larger buffer. BTW, 2.7Mpx is nothing to laugh at coming out of a large sensor.

<p>I went against the grain, too. Referencing an earlier poster, the D70 doesn't "run circles around" the D1 in everything except AF speed and build quality - the D1 has a fine viewfinder, something that can't be said for the D70! Of course, you must be aware of the tradeoffs, like inability to set custom settings through a menu (carry a cheat sheet in your camera bag, and since the D1 supports two sets of custom settings, you shouldn't have to change them in the field much), and long exposure and high ISO noise that comes from the older technology. However, if you're not printing above 8x10 (some say 11x14, maybe their eyes are not so good), there's no reason <b>not</b> to compare the D1 against the D70 side by side and see which fits your needs better. FWIW, I got mine with battery and charger for US$500; I'd like to see someone show me a D70 for that price (that's not terribly beaten up or damaged)...</p>

<p>By the way, if you do get a D1, get an extra battery or three. If you shoot all day and chimp much, your D1 may not last with one battery. With my shooting habits, I get a couple of days' worth of normal shooting from one battery, which is probably because I lightly use the camera in an amateur fashion. ;)</p>

I would take a look at the S2. I got one a couple of years ago and have been extremely happy. I also liked the fact that I didn't have to upgrade my SB-28 to the SB-80 in order to keep TTL flash. The camera is easy to use and has held up better than my F100 did. On the down side I really miss mirror lock up but this doesn't seem to be a common feature in modern digital cameras for some reason. Also the viewfinder, while miles better than the less expensive dSLRs is nowhere near as big and bright as my F3HP, which I still carry as a backup and enjoy running some Velvia 100 through now and then.

On a side note does anyone understand why MLU has faded by the wayside? Major irritant!!!!!!