understand the differences. So far, I can see:

- More frames per sec

- Prism vs. Mirror for viewfinder

- ISO 3200

I suspect that these are fairly trivial differences for most users

to justify additional cost. Did I miss something or is Canon really

trying to corner the entry level market at the risk of premium it

commands for mid-range bodies?

Another difference is the AF: the 20D focusses down to -0.5 EV, while the 350D does +0.5 EV.

And what about build-quality? The 20D is magnesium-alloy and should be more durable.

And let's not forget that in the old days when we used film, the body did not influence image quality at all, but still some people bought a 1-series EOS anyway...

Stefan.

- Longer burst

- Build Quality

- 9 point Diamond AF

- Long exposure noise reduction? The one where you do a 30 second exposure followed by a 30 second exposure with the shutter closed to subtract noise

- 0.2 MPixels...still confused why Canon would bother making 2 different APS-C sized CMOS sensors at about 8 MPixel. Must be cheaper to produce or something.

There are lots of differences (and BTW the 20D is NOT due to be replaced anytime soon. My guess is maybe PMA 2006?).

The 20D has these advantages:

Faster frame rate

Larger buffer

Rear control dial

More AF points, better AF

PC socket

17 vs 9 custom functions.

Battery compatible with D30, D60, 10D etc.

Larger (slightly!) sensor

Pentaprism (vs. Pentamirror)

100,000 cycle shutter (XT?)

It's not a Rebel...

i spoke to my local dealer in m/bro /uk and he informed me there was a new replacemnt for the 300d out in a couple of weeks and said it would be a lot better camera for the the same price(or thereabouts) as i was keen to buy my first digi slr i thought that was very good of him ..when he could have had a 3600 sale ......so i will wait and treat myself to a 350d.

Don't forget about the damn batteries. Still mad about that. And the BG-E3. I hope that it's not more than the $90-100 for the Drebel's BG-E1.

That alone is worth sticking or staying with a BP511(a) camera. I have 8 batts, a single and dual chargers!

Honestly, I am quite, quite pleased with the 350D feature set. A very viable camera. The 350D to 20D step is alot smaller than the 300D to 10D step.

I really think the incremental features on the 20D are very, very small. The price difference is a F4L lens.

So, which would you rather have: 350D with 16-35/2.8 or 20D with 17-40/4L?

Or put another way: 20D with 17-40/4L or 350D with 17-40/4L, 50/1.8 and 70-200/4L?

Yes there are a lot of minor differences. For a few people that will be very important. For the vast majority of people it won't, which is why the drebel will continue to outsell the 20D by a factor of many times.

Even the old drebel was outselling the better featured D70 and 20D substantially. Don't make the mistake of thinking photonet junkies are a respresentative sample of camera buyers.

It is very interesting to see that Canon are reducing sensor size while giving more resolution. I hope it won`t go lower. When I was just convinced that the D10 successor will have a crop factor of 1.3 we got a smaller sensor. Now, we are getting a EF-S prime ? if it were wide I understand but 60mm ? why should we buy one like this ? ir is not cheaper and it definitely means that Canon will have a 1.6 crop factor for long time ....

"So, which would you rather have: 350D with 16-35/2.8 or 20D with 17-40/4L?

Or put another way: 20D with 17-40/4L or 350D with 17-40/4L, 50/1.8 and 70-

200/4L?"

trouble is most buyers are diehard Canon geeks with plenty 'o lenses so your

reasoning won't fly for most. I'd gladly pay the extra money just for the magnesium

body, QCD and glass prism.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

One of the bigger differences to me as far as function goes is the way you go about changing certain settings- the Rebel XT is almost completely menu-driven. For instance, the metering modes and flash exposure compensation on the Rebel XT requires you to go into the menu system, which requires you to lower the camera and make the appropriate selections. With my 10D and the current 20D there are dedicated buttons where you can make those adjustments on the fly without taking you eye from the viewfinder. It's really great Canon has built all of those functions into this new camera though. At least they are giving the user the option. When it comes to convenience of use though, the 20D has it beat, hands-down.

Actually, the Metering mode is accessible without going into the Menu system. The left "cross" key shows an icon for metering mode.

Unless they decide to put FEC on the Jump key like Wasia did, it does seem to be in the menu system, which seems inordinately slow and annoying compared to the hacked 300D.

Also, this camera does have the long exposure noise reduction in the CFs.

<p>I'm very surprised by a few things about the 350D, like the fact that it doesn't share the 20D's sensor. You'd think it would make more sense for them to build a large number of one sensor and put it into two models than to build two similar but different sensors for different models. I'm also surprised about how many features the 350D has that have traditionally been absent from Rebels (stuff that lets the user take control, like CFs and direct control over AF and metering modes).</p>

<p>I'm not surprised by the 7-point AF system. It's a system whose development costs have long since been recovered and must be the least expensive of Canon's current AF systems to build. Also, simply having a different AF system than the 20D would help thwart firmware hackers; having a different imaging sensor should finish that job. And, of course, Canon has to ensure that the 20D retains some advantages over the 350D to justify its continued existence at a higher price.</p>

<p>I've been poring through reviews and press releases for the 350D to see whether I should be buying it instead of a 20D while I wait for Canon to produce what I really want, which may or may not be the 20D replacement which I expect to arrive at this time next year. My conclusion is that the 350D is not for me. I'm an Elan guy, and there's enough stuff missing from the 350D but present in the 20D that the 20D is a better fit for me. But boy, the 350D sure is a nice camera and it should be very easy to recommend it to a lot of folks.</p>

<p>Now I wait for the 350D's arrival in stores to push the price of the 20D a bit lower :-)</p>