Banff and Jasper Canada

richard_stenzel

just there this weekend. very few elk, they are around but it's been hot and it's a bit early for the rut, next week, things should start getting interesting.

Bow river parkway in banff - I saw 9 grizzly bears in two days and two black bears.

all of the jasper area and down the athabasca river. sheep are along the icefields highway. be very cairful of the elk, some WILL take you on. They are extreemely quick so dont think cause they are looking lazy that they wont turn on you. If youre close to them, ALWAYS have an emergency escape or defence plan. Id say it's only the people that get too close that really get in trouble.

the vegetation in the higher elevations of Kananaskis Country already is turing fall colors, more from the lack of rain than cold temps, but it is finally cooling down up here!

good lands skapes are where you find them. I cant help with that as I cant tell you what you like in a landscape.

<I>They are extreemely quick so dont think cause they are looking lazy that they wont turn on you. If youre close to them, ALWAYS have an emergency escape or defence plan. Id say it's only the people that get too close that really get in trouble.</I>

<P>My personal rule with wildlife is never be the closest person to the animal. Unless you're in the backcountry it is rare that animals don't already have an audience. Many of those people are quite careless and get too close. I figure that they will be attacked first, giving me time to escape. Cyincal, sure, but also Darwin at work.

<P>I personally haven't been to the Jasper region in many years, so can't offer any advice on locations.

I don't have long, so let me just say this. In my view the (considerable) beauty of this region is defined by its lakes. Head for the water as early or as late in the day as you can manage and you'll get great photography. Middle of the day won't get you good pictures but will get you a whole lot of canoes. From Banff make sure you see nearby Vermilion Lake early and late. From Lake Louise the eponmous Lake is pretty, but is possibly surpassed by Moraine Lake. Same area and Herbert Lake and Bow Lake from the NE corner make good shots.

From Jasper Patricia Lake and Pyramid Lake have good potential, and of course everyone you see will have been to Maligne Lake/Spirit Island. Just south of Jasper theres a Lake under Mt Cavell that might still have some ice in it( I was there end July a few years ago)

The animals will to an extent find you. When you come across an inexplicable traffic jam in the middle of nowhere its normally because someone's seen something. In fact when making landscapes beside the road, it wasn't unusual to have several cars come to a halt near me because they assume that camera equals wildlife, and couldn't quite believe there might be another reason for getting a camera out.

Richard, definitely hit Maligne Lake, Lake Louise, and Mt Edith Cavell.<P>

I don't know how much of a hiker you are, but generally if you are willing to hike a bit in the Canadian Rockies you can get much better shots than those near the road.<P>

For instance, I took <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/4842887">this shot</a> from the trail which goes around behind Mt Edith Cavell (can't remember the name of the trail). Well, actually I took the photo just after I descended the mountain, but I believe I was on/near the trail when I took it.<P>

(I have learned much from PN since I stitched together that shot, and looking at it now I should go back and adjust the curves to make it less contrasty and adjust the saturation to tone it down a bit. But I was young and foolish.)<P>

Enjoy your trip!

For a simple answer to your question, buy a copy of Darwin Wiggett's 'How to Photograph the Canadian Rockies'. In it he provides awesome advice on photo locations and more. The answers to your question are endless, but this book is as good of a compilation as i've seen.

Enjoy - best of luck,

Andrew