old lens. It costs 30% more than the Voigtlander (VC) 50mm, which is

meant to be a new purchase.

I've received mix feedback on the VC lens, pin-cushion and lag of

sharpness. However, I believe the design of this lens is meant to give

you that old B&W photo like, rather than tack sharp images. I have

also tried the 50mm f1.5 Nokton, tack sharp results, but rather bulky

in handling (not weight) on my M6.

I am going to use either of these 50mm lens for street photography,

together with my trusted Summicron 35mm f2 (type 4).

Would appreciate your views on this.

I find myself using my 50/2 DR lesser now that I have a 35/1.4. So you may want to consider if you need a 50 mm lens at all, or use the classic 2-lens combo of 35/90.

Also, if you already have a f2 lens, I would suggest you get a 50/1.4 lens. Once you have it, you'll use it more than you think. But if you don't want a 1.4 lens, then f2 certainly gives you more options for aperture and shutter speed than a f2.5.

Wai Leong

===

<I>I believe its a type 3 with focusing tab.</I><P>

If you are looking at a Summicron with tab, it is later than the type 3 version. It is the penultimate model, which has the same optical formula as the current version which did away with both the tab and detatchable hood. Many like the tabs, and many feel the separate hood is more protective than the current built-in hood, so many of us (me included) prefer the penultimate model of the 50mm Summicron. My example of this lens performs very well, and is usable from f/2.0 without reservations. Make sure you get the hood.<P>

<I>The condition of lens is still good for a 30 year old lens.</I><P>

If this is the penultimate lens, it will be much younger than 30 years of age. The oldest examples would be 25 years old.

The last reponder has it right. I have a Canadian tabbed penultimate, 1985 vintage. Makes it just about 20 years old. With the vented hood, it's a Leica Classic. It's performance is excellent; same optical formula as the current lens, but I like the tabbed version a lot more. Get the Summicron over the VC. You won't regret it.

If you want to look just a little further afield, you might want to consider the 75mm VC Heliar or the 90mm Elmarit-M. Either would complement your 35 very nicely for street photography. But I think every Leicaphile should have a 50 summicron in their bag anyways.

Good luck with your choice and have fun!

With 2 reservations any 50mm Summicron is going to spank just about any other lens out there - no question these lenses are absolutley superb whatever version. So reservation 1 - in certain circumstances when you are shoot with a large bright are just out of frame ( like a window) these lenses can have a veiling flare problem caused by light bouncing off the inner surface of the lens barrel. Reservation 2 the 50mm frames on an M4 onwards only show 2/3rds of what you get on film. BTW if you have a 35 already I would opt for a 90mm.

Chiswick John wrote: Yes it is 2/3ds at infinity - sounds mad but it's true as I've carefully tested it myself.

Yup. It sounds mad all right. And it sounds mad because it is mad. Again, the M4 finder lines are very accurate. Apparently Mr. John has never seen an M4.

While M4-P and M6 lines are annoyingly smaller than they should be, even they aren't even close to 2/3 of the actual frame size.