Rollei 6008i: How many 110 rolls do you get on a charge?

david_simonds

Friends, I recently returned from a trip where I used the Rollei

exclusively. I began with a fresh charge every day because by the end

of the previous day it would read 2-4 and I did not want to get stuck

in the middle of the day with no juice. I shot perhaps 4 rolls per

day and switched off the meter between them. Do these batteries wear

out or lose the capacity to hold a charge? Thanks.

The 6008i uses a NiCd pack, correct? These do wear-out and lose ability to hold charge. Also, they exhibit a memory effect. By recharging when your batteries aren't flat, e.g. at 25%, you actually REDUCE their capacity so they die at 25%, rather than at 0% (permanently). The best quality battery chargers actually discharge your batteries fully before starting with the charging cycle, or you can build a rig to do this yourself. Its a PITA, but this is life before lithium ion rechargeables.

I don't know the details of these particular batteries, but I have bought individual NiCd cells of the correct size to rebuild battery packs. This is the most economical way to do it and many places will do this work for a nominal fee.

Sounds like rebuild time if you are losing an overnight charge, David. On the other hand, you shouldn't have to recharge them each night. I don't use mine steadily enough to count, but it can sit for a month and not be the least bit phased, except for cold weather.

For those times, I have the ultimate Homeland Security Threat Prompt: the battery extension cord that runs to your pocket and up to that big threatening camera. This keeps the battery warm and sends chills down the spine of wary rent-a-cops in public spaces.

Rollei USA gets about $85 to rebuild the pack. There is a commercial (Maha, I think) charger that has a "recondition" mode, and features electronic probe leads, so that you can insert them into the correct pin slots, but the reference is at home. I'll try to find and relay. Yours might be salvageable if discharged/conditioned, but I doubt it.

For the future (on a new pack) do NOT recharge it until it asks for it; and for this reason, you may want to invest in a second. And I can't recommend buying used on ePrey; prices get too high for dubious-life units. Better off to buy new or rebuild, so you know where you started--and they should last for years. I think the manual recommends charges every 6 mos. if unused.

Cheers,

Ray Hull

PS: If you think NiCad is a dated/weak link, don't. You'll note that the latest AF models still use that same realiable power pack, even though it now has to drive lens focusing etc.

I have bought a Maha charger too. There have been several reports of users who have

successfully reconditioned their "near dead" Rollei battery pack. My advice would be to

order the Maha first because it is a far better charger to use in future anyway and you can

charge half discharged batteries as you are used to as long as you incorporate the

discharge feature in the cycle. Run a few discharge/charge cycles with your old battery to

see what is left of it. After judging the result, decide on an new battery. There are two

suitable Maha chargers now. The cheeper old model which I have and a new one with a

little display to show the voltage etc. Good luck.

Ray, thanks for your suggestion. I think that my batteries (I have two) are kaput. I can actually lose a charge overnight. I will check into that option you mention and the rebuild. Your reference to the Rollei as that "big threatening camera" certainly rings true, particularly with the 45 finder, 90mm Schneider and a retracted monopod attached to it. I just got back from a trip to Israel where the Rollei seemed to attract as much attention as the sites. While walking in the Arab shouk (market), a merchant yelled to me, "I like your machine gun." Its a "bazooka" I told him. Alex Z, who commented above, met me in Jerusalem for some shooting (note the power of photo.net). He told me that as we passed a group of young soldiers, one of them commented, "Look at that camera. Who is he going to shoot with that." And they were toting automatic weapons. Frankly, I was surprised at how little difficulty I had going through security within the city and in the airports. But I have to say that shlepping around this rig, with the 50mm and 150mm in tow was a real effort. While I have had the camera for about a year, this was our first real excursion. On my last trip to Israel, I used my Contax G2 system. That whole kit with three lenses, I think, weighs than the Rollei owners manual. With auto focus and its small unobtrusive size it is a more agreeable traveling companion. But there is no way that these 35mm images can compare to the Rollei chromes. I shot about 30 rolls. Hopefully, there will be a few zingers that will have made the effort worthwhile. Unfortunately, the images that stand out most vividly in my mind are the ones that got away.

Alex, as for being "stunned" by my images, you were there. You know I have no idea how to take a picture. I could not even get the film speed right.... And how come you only brought that little 35mm Canon. Bronica afraid to come out and play?

Lakhiner, the batteries are probably 4-5 years old. Not really sure because I got the kit used. This was not a cold weather issue. Part of my shooting was in the Negev desert.

Ferdi, thanks for your reinforcement of Ray's suggestion. I will check out the charger. At this point, the battery issue is more of an inconvenience. Between the two batteries, there is enough juice to shoot as many rolls as I am likely to in the course of a day. And as long as I can recharge them at night, I would be set. But if I electricity is not available, that would be a problem. How long do batteries usually last? Thanks to all.

David, <br><br>The contacts of the charger can be aligned in both vertical and

horizontal

directions and then fixed. The battery is moved to the contacts from the "third dimension"

and securely held by a magnet. It is very easy to do, no problems at all. Take a look <a

href="http://www.pindelski.org/equipment/Equipment4.htm">here</a>.

Battery life depends on how they were handled in the past. I suppose 4-5 years is about

the life expectancy. <br><br>Ferdi.

Ferdi, thanks for the update. I will definitely get this charger. Can you suggest a method of charging the batteries once I get it to see if they can be rehabilitated. Or is it just a matter of hooking them up, letting the charger discharge them of any remaining juice, and see if they come back and retain a charge. Thanks again.

<i> Or is it just a matter of hooking them up, letting the charger discharge them of any

remaining juice, and see if they come back and retain a charge. </i> <br><br>

The only thing you will have to do after placing the battery is press the discharge button.

Somehow the charger is able to count the number of cells. The cells are then discharged to

1 V each, 8 V for the pack. In the camera this would show as "CHARGE" on the display

when the camera is switched on. While shooting it is not very practical to run the battery

down this far. Long before this point, it will show "CHARGE" after a few exposures and

switch of. Switching on after a short pause will show a "bc=2" recovery. Etc. etc. This is

why we need a charger with a discharge option. Rollei should have supplied it in the first

place.

As soon as 1 V per cell is achieved, the Maha starts recharging. I would do 2 or 3

discharge/

recharge

cycles and see how the battery is doing.

Oh no David, getting around with the equipment you have no much experience with doesn't mean you don't know to make fine images. We all were in your boat once beginning a new photo equipment advanture, but one gains confidence with practice.

Would I bring my Bronica with me for our shootout, I would certainly be fiddling with the camera probably much more then you (bearing in mind yours is featured by much more automaiton then my Bronica), and probably wouldn't be able to shoot effectively at all, All in all, doing street photography with all manual camera, (not to mention all the burden related to MF) isn't going to bring much fruits, especially bearing in mind lack of extensive experience with this particular equipment. Besides, street photography isn't my main point of interest. :-)

But, I really hope you will have images from this trip to be proud of, despite all the fiddling with the camera, and the more you will use it the sooner it become second nature, you know.

In fact, would we both opt for a dedicated photo session there appropriate for MF, no doubt my Bronica would be my choice over 35mm. :-)

• 1 month later...