Questions - upgrade from Epson 2200 to 2400?

Thinking about replacing my 2200 with the 2400. I've been using the 2200 for

almost three years now and I dedicated it as my B/W printer using MIS UT7 inks

and QTR RIP. I print color with an R1800 and am quite pleased with it. I

generally like the results with the 2200, and I particularly like the ability

to adjust tones through the RIP. But I keep reading about the superiority of

the 2400 in producing black and whites. I searched the archives and I came

across a lot of threads dating back to when the 2400 first came out, and a lot

of theoretical stuff from non owners of the two machines. Now that the 2400

has been around for quite a while, maybe some fresh answers to old questions

might be helpful.

How does the 2400 perform on b/w on glossy papers? If it is limited to matte

papers, am I just better off keeping the 2200? How does it do with color

glossy prints? My printing is about 50% monochrome/50% color. Thanks in

advance.

The 2400 out of the box (Epson inks and paper) does better b&w than the 2200 out of the box. But you are not using an out of the box 2200 setup. There are only two advantages that I see of the 2400 to your current setup, one printer and set of inks for both b&w and color and ossibly better print life for color.

I just sold my 2200 and bought a 2400. I was using the QTR RIP on my 2200. I find using

the ABW on the 2400 a lot easier. Using Clayton Jones' tutorials (cjcom.net), I've been able

to quickly get excellent control of my workflow. I found QTR good, but unless you buy a

spectrophotometer and want to really spend tons of time making curves, profiles, etc., I

can highly recommend ABW on the 2400. Also, I print primarily on glossy (also now using

Crane Museo Silver Rag and Innova equivalent), and there's a lot less bronzing on he 2400

than I was getting with glossy papers on the 2200 and QTR. . . It's an upgrade. The ease

and flexibility of using the ABW on the 2400 is night and day from the ease of using QTR

on the 2200. Also the blacks are quite a bit deeper on the 2200. For me it's a signficant

upgrade, though the 2200 is also excellent.

You might want to post on digitalblackandwhitetheprint on yahoo groups.

As far as I understand it there isn't a big difference in quality between MIS B&W on the 2200 and moving up to the 2400. For B&W only, you're probably better off with your current setup than using color pigment inks to make B&W with the 2400.

Is there a reason you want to switch? You don't indicate you're having a problem that switching would solve.

Roger - I'm trying to simplify things. If I can get good color AND good b/w on the 2400, particularly on glossy papers (which I can't get on the 2200), then I'd be willing to upgrade. I guess the bottom line is that getting good glossy b/ws would trump my current set up.

The only glossy B&W I've done on my 2400 (I prefer matte or semigloss) has been on Pictorico PGHG and the result was incredible, almost 3-D, when holding the print in hand. After it was framed under glass, there wasn't much advantage. Color glossy prints are fine on the 2400 and compare to my 1800, which I use for most of my color, just because I have it and it can't do decent B&W. If you're looking to have a single printer, I think the 2400 will serve your needs nicely.

Yes, glossy B&W prints are great on the 2400. I also printed glossy B&W on the 2200, using QTR, but given that I don't have and don't want to buy a densitometer, and also don't ever want to learn how to use one (I think it's more efficient to let someone else do that for me and get paid for their services), I was really limited to the curves that come with QTR. QTR and Epson Semigloss was good, but had a lot of bronzing that required spraying them with Premier Art spray. So you have a lot more flexibility with ABW and toning on the 2400, though there is some slight metamerism on the 2400 with ABW (that is virtually nonexistence on QTR and the 2200 because no yellow is sued) . . . But the biggest advantage for the 2400 vs. 2200 for glossy is the richness of the blacks. They are incredible! The prints have an extra "dimension" to them that I thought they lacked on the 2200. Also the new Crane Museo Silver Rag and Innova Fibre Glossy produce incredible blacks with the air blown fibre print look that everyone is excited about. Me too!

You will find that the 2400 will give you much better everything. Faster, better dMax, better color gamut, better black and white (maybe not more than YOUR black ink setup). Example, using glossy paper the 2200 struggles to give you a dMax of 1.9, maybe 2.0 on a great day. The 2400, however, will produce 2.53 on the same paper. Of course this same thing applies to color saturation. And then there is the longer achival life. In short, it workd great on glossy and luster!

Hello Friends, can I join this exchange? My queston would be do all the the above replies

also relate to the 1290s? OR are the differences so much greater with my machines. I use a

dediicated b/w printer using Small Gamut Lyson and Epson inks in the colour printer. Not in

the least unhappy with the results. I use matte or semi gloss. I have read all the responses to

the initial question and would need just a simple answer. Regards, Tony

Isn't the 2200 a higher end printer with less clogging issues and smaller droplet size than the 1290? I'd think the upgrade to the 2400 would be more significant for you.

You might also consider using MIS pigment inks over the lyson (dye?) ones- I've seen some great prints from the 1280 and 1290. www.inksupply.com