Voightlander VC meter II - worthwhile?

<p>The Voigtländer is just a reflective meter as you surmise, and yes, that's how you use it. It's pretty accurate: I don't know how accurate, and I'm not familiar with that Sekonic. I don't have the Meter II either, but I believe that it's functionally identical or near-identical to its taller predecessor, which I do have. I seldom use it because (in no particular order):</p>

<ul>

<li>It's a bit small and fiddly.</li>

<li>It can't be used as an incident meter (obviously).</li>

<li>The orifice for light is so tiny that I worry a bit about the

effect of dust.</li>

<li>It's a bit hard to combine it with an accessory finder (obviously).</li>

<li>I worry about it falling out.</li>

<li>The film speed setting is a bit too easy to move.</li>

<li>Since it's sitting at the top of the camera, I automatically bring

my eye up to it and attempt to look through it (stupid, I know).</li>

</ul>

<p>But most other people seem to love it.</p>

Marc,

have had the VC meter (1st version) for about 9 months now. Personally found the metering to be extremely accurate, I have had very very few photos where the exposure has been off. I used XP2 80% of the time and color negative the rest of the time. Have not tried slide film.

It is very compact and light weight. My only complaint it that it is a little fiddly to use. Otherwise heartily recommended.

My vc meter is no longer mounted on the camera body as I acquired an external viewfinder. Use the vc meter handheld.

Not sure all this palaver about holding readings. With the vc meter you aim, press the orange button, set the dials so that the green led is lit, and that's it!

I tend to aim at the subject. Do the above, then pick up the camera and set it accordingly. Since the dials remain in place even after the led has gone out you know what you need to know.

Some people have reflected on the VC meter's deficiencies:

(1) small angle of view. To be able to meter accurately as a large spot meter you really have to raise the meter to eye level.

(2) inability to hold the reading. One has to lower the meter from eye level to see what the proper exposure should be. The Bessa L o Bessa T are much better with the indicators at the back, rather than the top.

I did not notice these failings until I read about them on the Leica Forum.

Anyhow, I now use my VC meter (version one) by setting the ISO for a deliberate 1/2 EV over-exposure. Then I meter the scene off my palm, much like an incident meter. The fact that the meter is lodged on the makes it really handy.

Just noticed the 2nd half of your question, Marc.

1) Is it accurate. Yes, quite. Much better than my Sekonic 208? (I forgot the model number but it is the petite analog one that you can attach on the hot shoe).

2) I ahave a 308B as well, and the VC is just as accurate. In fact, much better than the 308B in incident mode in a way because in crowded streets, the 308B's reading is always distorted by lighting from the top, making the pictures slightly under-exposed.

<<308B's reading is always distorted by lighting from the top, making the pictures slightly

under-exposed>>

You don't aim the Dome UP, you aim it at the camera angle.

Glad to hear that the VC holds for 8 seconds. I still wish you could slide a cover in place

and take incident readings though.

jmp

Interesting how every time someone asks if the new VC II holds a reading,

someone chimes in saying that it doesn't, despite never having used one! <p>

It's a terrific little meter, substantially more compact than the last one, seems

quite sensitive in low light, and very accurate. I tend to use it by pointing at

greyish area in similar light to my subject, before bringing the camera to my

eye. This has pluses and minuses to an in-camera meter - takes a

nanosecond longer, perhaps, because you have to match the dials, but

actually in many situations it's better to set up shutter speed/aperture without

looking thru the viewfinder. For me, the main bugbear of external meters is

their bulk, and this is the best thing out there in that respect. I've tried using

tiny selenium meters - but they tend only to be accurate in bright light, where

you can guess the reading anyway. <p>

And in case anyone's still in doubt, THE VC II METER DOES HOLD ITS

READING FOR EIGHT SECONDS! It's confirmed in the manual. Keep the

button pressed in if you want it to meter continuously.