what contax lens is better the Distagon T* 2.8/ 28mm or Distagon T* 2.8/ 21mm

dave_cale

What is your purpose for either lens? If you are with your back against the wall, and cannot frame all you want with the 28mm lens, you will need a 24 or 21 mm lens, right. Or a sledgehammer to destroy the wall ...

Sharper will - unseen - be the 28mm lens, since it does not have to be so much corrected as the 21 mm one. A little brainer, that one.

But the use makes them very different, Very much so: going from a 28mm perspective to 21mm is a huge step.

So : you may need them both. I do in Nikkors.

The inherent angle-of-view difference would by my main concern in choosing which lens to buy. That having been saud, I've shot both lenses and found both to be equally excellent. Photodo also tested a sample of each and scored them almost identically:

http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/detail/CoGBiogon21_28-122.shtml

http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/detail/CoGBiogon28_28-123.shtml

Dave,

I have a 28/2.8 Distagon and it is probably the best 28mm I have ever used. Very, very sharp and contrasty. For the price, compared to the 21mm, I would not hesitate in recommending it.

I use the 21mm focal length very infrequently. Not enough to justify buying the 21 Distagon. Instead, I use a 21/4 CZ Jena Flektogon. It works very well with an M42-c/y adapter, especially since the film/flange distance of the M42 and Contax lenses are the same (45.5mm?). Photos are hard to distinguish from those taken with my other contax lenses in terms of sharpness. Colors/saturation is typical zeiss. At around $130-150 used, it (or the CZJ 21/2.8 Flektogon) would be hard to beat. Of course, metering would be stopped down. The DOF is so great, however, that I just use hyperfocal distance settings. If I found myself using this much more than the 28mm, then perhaps, I would consider buying the 21 Distagon. But for my purposes, this setup is just fine. My 2c.

BTW, unlike using M42 adapters on Nikon or EOS cameras where only centerweighted metering can be used, the same is not true with contax. You can use these old M42 lenses with all metering patterns on the contax, ie the Aria's spot and evaluative meter patterns will work. It will probably even autofocus with the AX. Amazing.

There is a very big difference in the angle of view between a 28 and a 21. You should

really decide which focal length works better for you and base your decision on that,

rather on which is sharper. Both zeiss lenses are excellent. What lenses do you currently

own might help in the decision as well.

Considering the nature of your question, and if you can't yet identify a specific need for the 21mm, save a lot of money and go for the 28mm. Once you have more experience, you may start to identify times and situations where a 21 would give you the shot you need. If that ends up being quite often, consider a 21mm at that point, not now. It may not sound like it, but the 21mm is significantly wider than the 28mm.

If you think the "extra 7mm" will not make a big difference, you have obviously never shot a 21mm. Trust me, the difference is huge! For general landscape type of work, I find 28mm much more useful. You could also look into a 24mm, but a 21mm is really a special effect lens. To get a good landscape picture out of a 21mm you need to take great care in the composition to fill the foreground. If you are just starting out with wide angle lenses, get a 28mm. You'll love it!

In wide angle lenses, 7mm is a huge difference!!! You need to find out what fits your needs, so you will use it. There is nothing worse than an expensive lens that sits in your case ;-)

I am looking for a Distagon 21mm, as I need the extreme angle of view for this project: A Vision from Above If anyone knows of a source, kindly email me? Note: all profits from the exhibition to charity.

-Paul Chaplo

Dave,

I was also thinking whether I should get 21mm or 28mm....Here is more

business / practical perspective. 21mm will run you for around $1,200

and 28mm MM you can buy for $200 on ebay. I never used either of them

but for landscapes/architecture for example you can use 28mm with contax body on the tripod (vertical position) and take several pictures, stitching them and getting much wider then 21mm. Also 21mm is a huge lens and I bet more people would have gotten it if it wasn't so big for its focal length. Also if you are not satisfied with 28mm take a look at Tamron first.

I got their 300mm 2.8f lens and it gives fantastic quality plus adaptall converter for Contax is super solid and supports AP mode. There is also 17mm lens from Tamron and people give it some good reviews.