Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 for D70

demetris_ioannou

I have this lens and use it as my main lens on a D70 also. It seems to be sharp enough for me. I don't mind the 82mm filter size either since the only filters I use now is a circular polarizer and UV. Its large size seems to occasionally interfere with the AF assist light. One nice thing is that you can slide the autofocus barrel back so it doesn't spin while focusing. Nice if you're used to holding the barrel while shooting in AF.

However, if you use the built in flash at a wide angle, the lens will cast a shadow. Doesn't bother me since I don't use the built in flash much anyway.

It's funny because I got this lens when it first came out and Sigma didn't mention at the time that it was macro lens. I only noticed its macro capability after I took a few close up shots. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I think it's only recently that Sigma started advertising it as a macro lens.

The fellow at B&H who took my order over the phone recommended this lens over the 18-70 DX "kit zoom". He said he owns the Sigma and finds it to be a very good value, tho' it costs more than the kit zoom. And he said it's not particularly sharp wide open but gets much better one stop down.

I'm inclined to take the fellow at his word because he didn't try to pressure me into buying anything I didn't want and actually suggested I skip buying a couple of things I'd intended to order.

Even if the Sigma isn't as sharp wide open as some f/2.8 constant aperture zooms, the brighter lens can't hurt autofocusing with the D70.

I own this lens, and just as those describe above, purchased it in lieu of the kit lens as I bought my D70 body in the pre-order time it was released.

It's a nice lens. Heavy, solid build. Not too sharp wide open, but gets very sharp as you hit the middle f-stops. F22 and f32 landscapes come out well. I use it for landscapes mostly, though too keep it on when I know I'm going to need the zoom. Yes the 82mm filter is expensive, but as I own an older Nikon 300mm f4, I needed them anyway. The only downside seems to be inherent in many Sigma zooms in that the suction created by the lens extending/contracting may suck in dust particles - I have a few in there now that I'll have Sigma remove when I get it maintenanced.

If you look through my portfolio, a good example of its sharpness are the images of the Flatiron Building, the image of the dog peeing on the tree (don't ask), the older fellow holding up a chihuahua (b&w), and of course all of the WA lighthouse/early morning pics. Many of the Costa Rica photos were made with this on the fly, too.

I give it thumbs up, no regrets here for the price, which is fairly inexpensive compared to what you COULD spend. I bought mine from B&H.

A decent performer with problems:

* when using the D70's built-in flash you will have a shadow cast in your pictures.

* big (=expensive) filters

* heavy for a small body like the D70 (especially when travelling)

if you think you these drawbacks are unimportant for you, buy it. I had one but sold it after a while for the above mentioned reasons.

Ths Sigma EX line is OK, but one thing almost everybody forgets to mention is that Nikon lenses are far superior to most brands when it comes to contrast; IMHO Nikon's is superb and this is the main reason to choose Nikon over other brands.