and a ST-E2 on the camera itself, would I be able to control 2 more

550EX's off the camera? And would I want/need to have 3 flash units

for weddings and portraits? Or do you think 2 550EX's would be

plenty (2 off camera) while using the ST-E2 transmitter? I own a

550EX now and I am looking to purchase the 550EX kit from B&H, but

if 2 would do well for what I want to use them for, then I will

purchase 1 more 550EX with the transmitter separate, as well as a

couple of battery packs?

The answer to my own question is that the Canon ST-E2 transmitter will operate numerous Canon Speedlites. I thought I had read somewhere that I could operate 2-3, but I was wrong. Therefore, I can mount the ST-E2 on the camera, and have numerous Speedlites setting where ever, including one on a flash bracket, and out to 180 feet, and the transmitter will trigger the flash units.

Where did you read that the ST-E2 has a range of 180 feet?<p>The following info at <a href="http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index3.html#wireless">PhotoNotes.org</a> says differently:<p>"The 550EX has an official transmission range of 8-10 metres (25-30 feet) when used outdoors...<br>...There's conflicting data about the ST-E2. Canon USA's spec sheet claims that the ST-E2 has the same range as the 550EX, which appears to be incorrect. Canon USA's Chuck Westfall has said that the ST-E2 actually has a range of about 3.5-5 metres (12-15 feet) when used outdoors"<p>Indoors, you will gain a little more distance, but not much.

I'd also say you should be wary of the ST-E2 outdoors, and even indoors as well, where it can sometimes fail to reach the flashes.

Do some research on this site and others (fredmiranda.com, sportshooters.com, steves-digicams.com, etc) for their own experience with it.

From all I've seen, it's best to invest in some Pocket Wizards.

I am sorry about the mistake in my "answer to my own question" above in regard to the range of the ST-E2. I had stated that the ST-E2 had a range of up to 180', but that is the range of the 550EX flash. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I was assuming that the "guide number" was referring to the range of the flash as stated in the specifications of the flash:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=164263&is=USA

It was also my understanding that the flash itself (master), when mounted on camera, can trigger the other off camera flashes (slaves). Therefore, since the master flash has a range (guide number) of up to 180', I assumed that would trigger the slave flashes out to that distance with the set up as follows: ST-E2 on camera, #1 flash mounted to flash bracket, which would be triggered by the ST-E2, which would then trigger the other off camera flashes out to 180'? Based on what I am reading now, my "theory" is false and would require a magic wand to work as I have stated?

I do not really have any plans to use the flashes out side at distances greater than 30-40'. My main use would be indoors. Since I seem to be totally wrong here, can someone please help me and tell me how a Pocket Wizzard works (other than radio frequency), and what I would need as far as a set up goes? I am wanting a flash on camera (flash bracket) and to be able to control 2 more flashes coming from each side. How many Pocket Wizzards do I need? How do they control the flash and at what distances? What do they mount to for support (monopod and/or tripod)? Set up must be wireless, be compatable with my 20D and I need to know all that I would need to get going. I know it's a big order, but I know someone can help :)

As I have stated before in previous questions. I am new to the flash, I am reading and trying to learn, so any and all information would help a great deal.

Thank You.

I have a long way to go as far as using flash. I have book now and will be doing some reading. I have tried to get info as it pertains to equipment (Pocket Wizzard), but I just get very little from specs and it doesn't say what all would be needed in order to be able to use Pocket Wizzard? Will one transmitter control more than one receiver, and if so how many will it control? How does the Pocket Wizzard work the flash, and how does it connect to flash/camera? What do I mount all this to? Do I need a cable to connect Pocket Wizzard to flash? What types of flash can I use with Pocet Wizzard? I am still searching for answers? I will continue searching web too.

This is a very confusing area, as you've found, and since I don't have any experience with it, all I say is to do a search on google for "550ex pocket wizard" and follow the threads.

Here's one:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/176956

There's also a guy at this site who has used ST-E2's successfully, but also works with Pocket Wizards. (See "Small Flash" 1 and 2)

http://www.dg28.com/technique.html