Yet another web site question

scott_williams5

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone could recomend a good site for

registering my domain and also hosting my website. Right now I am

looking at GoDaddy or register.com. Are these any good? How much

data transfer would I need for your typical wedding website? 25gb

seems like a lot, but I am not sure. Thanks.

I registered my domain name with go daddy and have no problems. I would highly recommend lypha.com for your hosting. They give way more storage than any other hosting service and have many excellent features for about 7.95 a month.

Hi Scott,

<P>

I'm not sure were u live, but in the uk I pay: 4 (GBP) for a .co.uk name registration (2 years). And 30(GBP) for 1 years hosting. That includes php, mysql, 10Gb monthly limit, 200Mb online storage. It's surprising how far it goes.

</P>

<P>The hosting is with: http://www.lchost.co.uk</P>

<P>The .co.uk is with: http://www.1and1.co.uk</P>

HTH</BR>

Ben

Bluegenesis.com is who I use. In fact, I am a reseller for BG. $360 year gets you 30GB data transfer per month, 250MB storage, 10 POP email accounts, .NET, PHP, CGI and Cold Fusion server environment, your own admin console, and 24/7 tech support. You can register your domain on their Website for $14.99.

I do a lot of image uploads to my site, and it gets a moderate amount of traffic, and I don't get anywhere close to the monthly transfer limit. I think the thing you should shop for is an ISP that supports a progrmming environment that you can work with. Do you require Front Page Extentions (If you use Front Page you do), or would you prefer to use PHP or ASP.net?

Scott - GoDaddy is great for registering your domain. But before you buy hosting from *anyone* you need to figure out what you need. Will you be using some kind of gallery software that requires a database and a programming language? That DB/language combination will likely dictate what operating system you'll need to be hosting on. As someone said, if you want to use all the features of MS FrontPage, you'll need to find a host that supports that.

Go ahead and register your domain, but take your time to ensure you get the right hosting package. You don't have to have hosting figured out in order to buy the name.

Good luck.