40 MM Nokton Warning...Major VOIGHTLANDER downer.

imagehause

Hi,

I got 40MM 1.4 Nokton and two month later the element/glass assembly

loosened so much , that it is almost about to fall out... bringing

it back to Photovillage this week to be either replaced or get my $$

back. It started of with a little play in the front and then it got

so loose almost falling out, unusable. Guess for the price you get

the build quality. Glad I have not sold my 40 Rokkor in the first

Nokton euphoria. Enjoyed my time with the lens (however brief) and I

like the results.

Peter

There's no way an aluminum lens body can last as long as bronze. CV build quality is obviously not comparable to Leica/Canon/Nikon. On the other hand, CV actually makes a 40 1.4, if that's important.

You can see the impact of mechanical cheapening on resale prices when you compare Canon FD lenses with old and "new" mounts, or when you compare the EBay prices of new CV lenses with comparable old Canons.

The Leica 35s are glued, I believe the CV lenses are threaded and unscrew from placing and removing filters and hoods. Is that what you think happened Peter? Sherry repaired my 35 Summicron very quickly and very inexpensively when it arrived with a loose front assembly. Unfortunately, the repair is to reglue it, so I keep it for B&W photography with a yellow filter and hood permanently attached just to be extra careful with it.

My 35 Summicron front was also slightly loose when I bought it (the aperture index had drifted from its correct position opposite the focusing mark), however that model is secured with a retaining ring in the back, so 10 seconds with a spanner wrench and I fixed it. I think it's just the more recent (like 1980 on)lenses where some are glued.

Ok, I am slightly mechanicly inclined and I thought of tightening the screws and looked around for a simple solution. Could not find any and all screws were tight.

Mine is the MC version and it seems to be internal. Guess it needs to be taken apart and retighten/reglued.

The part that was loose is the whole lens/glass assembly (part that you would unscrew in the older leica lenses for viso use). The focusing helicoid in which it is housed seems fine and sturdy.

Rich is sending the lens to Japan to be fixed.. 2 to 3 weeks turnaround. Will report back on how it was solved.

Peter