645 or 6x6? and also what projector?

philip_roberts1

I am a long time amateur photographer who has a very well specified EOS digital kit,

which I am very satisfied with, and seems to cover most of my needs. However for

quality I would like to invest in medium format, but there are two very important

points to consider, it must be a system camera, and it must be small and comfortable

to hand hold. I love the anonymity of the waist level finder (and my waist is the best

anti-shake device (!) for a camera of this type).

I once owned a Bronica ETRS, and liked it very much. I also used to own an elderly but

very tidy Hasselblad 500CM that I loved (well, the body and lens - the backs were

troublesome b******s who leaked like sieves - before and after repair).

Basically do I buy a late ETRSi and put up with the pain of permanent landscape

format (note this is likely to be 99% of my pictures) or get an SQAi and enjoy 66

again? The ETRSi is super to handhold at waist height, but is the SQAi a lot bulkier?

how good is it to handhold like a 'Blad, left hand under camera and on shutter

release, right hand focus and wind?

I could go for another elderly 'Blad, but my past experience says no...

Second question, where could I get a reasonably priced MF projector to project slides

(in the UK)? Are any makes particularly good? I dont have a massive budget...

Changeable backs are nice if you need them, otherwise they are a pain... I mean often expensive, harder to load, prone to leak, etc.

Waist level finders are a joy to use (at least for me) but mostly in 6x6 (don't have to turn the camera). They are found in SLRs and TLRs.

By a system, i guess you mostly mean changeable lenses .

Now, if we combine all your criterias: relatively light, WLF without backs and changeable lenses : in 6x6, Mamiya C220F (TLR, 80s, lighter than C330, easy to find) and Norita 66 (SLR, early 70s, kind of between Nikon F2 and Pentax 67, hard to find more than the normal kit)

If you go for a 645, Mamiya 1000s is an interesting choice.

Personnaly, i use old 4 elements TLR like Minolta Autocord and Yashica Mat . I am stuck with the normal view but they are much lighter, simpler and cheaper (and silent too !). I also added a Fuji GS645W, an under 2 pounds great wide shooter (i have a right angle finder on it). I gave up tele in medium format because i could not find a nice overall solution (for me) at reasonnable price.

There is so many criterias : what are your favorite focal lenghts ? (check the available lenses before the bodies). Will you need to shoot close-ups ? Do you use flash often ? (leaf shutters sync much faster). Do you want an on camera light meter ? (i prefer it when shooting hand-held but use a seperate one when on tripod). What is your budget ? Etc...

Lets narrow it down. I want:

SLR type with standard lens to start off with. All speeds flash synch (leaf

shutter). Waist level viewing (eg Pentax 645/Fuji etc is out). Compact and lightweight

(can be slung round my neck all day without permanent injury!). 99% Outdoor

landscape photos, 1% occasional wedding when asked (Mainly do digital - MF for a

few shots).

I would give careful consideration to the Hasselblad. You can get a mint condition 501C for under $1,000, including lens. The 501C doesn't have the gliding mirror system, but that's only a factor with the longer focal length lenses. If you want to spend less, then look for a well cared for 500C/M. I recommend the Hasselblad because of the build quality and the depth and availability of lenses and accessories.

After you narrowed it down, i think the best option for you would be the Bronica SQb, an economical version of the SQai (does not and can not have the metered prism wich you don't want anyway).

Second choice : a 645 ETRs like the one you tried. A little lighter than the SQ series but less practical with WLF .

SLR, leaf shutter (fast flash sync) and reasonnable weight lead to (recent) Bronica first (my humble opinion).

By the way, using a waist level finder lighten the camera since those medium format prism are usually heavy.

Re: 6x6 or 6x4.5? 6x6. IMHO it's a no brainer (even though I use 6x6 myself). Why? Two key reasons: 6x6 provides a more substantial film size benefit over 35mm than does 6x4.5. Secondly, you can always crop down, but never up! If the image is not ideal in square format crop it, or you can compose based on a rectangular format and crop later. Don't underestimate the wonderful creative opportunities in 6x6 square format.

To close this one - I have invested in 645. A Pentax 645N to be precise. I am just

bowled over by this camera, which appears to be the best kept secret in medium

format. Despite the lack of waist level finder, It has to be the lightest (with prism) and

best specified 645 SLR out there. It's small point admittedly, but even after taking in

the multi-pattern metering, the fast autofocus, the superb balance in the hand and

the compact prism, the thing that really did it for me was the TRIPOD BUSH ON THE

SIDE! I can't begin to think how much better it is with my manfrotto quick release

plates fitted NOT to have a heavy 645 hanging over the side of my tripod! Somone at

Pentax really thought about this camera. Oh well, sun's out, spring is here, time for

some Velvia...

<p>

I note in all this nobody came back to me about MF slide projectors...If anyone can

answer this part of the question I'd be grateful...

Philip, I have had good luck with the Rollei projectors, the p11 and the 66 models. For the well heeled there is the Hasselblad. That being said, I don't like to project 645 slides. It takes a knowledgeable audience to appreciate the MF quality when it appears to be just another 35mm slide. The 6x6 slides, on the other hand, have a wow factor when they fill the screen. The Pentax is a quality camera that will produce fantastic images and the 645 size is infinitely superior to working with 35mm in the darkroom, but for projection, I'll take the 6x6 anyday.